Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
TheSquidifier
portfolio
Hugh Tomkins
Nr. Kettering, United Kingdom

Turning to max. A few basic questions.

Firstly - hello world. My first post on the cgsociety forum. Moderators please move this thread if I have got it wrong.

Over the last five years I have using blender, and have decided to take the step up to max. This is to a degree a few little whiny issues I cannot find on google. I understand max will have a slightly different workflow etc. to blender, but there are a few things I would have thought essential that I cant find.

1 - In blender, to move an object you would hit 'G' and just move your mouse. In max, you must manually click and drag. Is there a keyboard shortcut that does not require me to move the mouse over to an object and then click and drag to move it? (Sounds lazy I know, but I miss this!)

2 - In blender, you could control+click in the viewport, and anything selected would be extruded to the place you clicked. In max, from what I can tell, you hit shift+E, select your extrude length, then w to move what has been extruded, and then click and drag it into position. Is there a quicker way of doing this?

3 - In blender, to make a quad you would simply select four vertices and hit 'F'. In max it seems you must use the create tool, which is pretty painstaking. Is there another way around this?

4 - In blender, you could have a single edge, and extrude it to make a quad, is this possible in max and how?

5 - Can I join two selected vertices with an edge by pressing a single hotkey in max?

Lastly, I saw a thread somewhere with a blender fanboy complaining about how everybody hates blender in the professional world. I apologise on his behalf - blender users like him are a minority. You should see the hate he is getting on the BA forums currently.

TS

Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
independhans
Scout

portfolio
Hans Hübener
3D-Artist
Hamburg, Germany

1) - Well in this Point Maya and Blender are better than 3ds max I gess.
2) - turn on "Select and Manipolate" in the Maintoolbar, rightclick tool2, extrude and click and drag Polygones.
And the New Functions in 3dsmax 2012+ are more suited a slow hand you could draw polygones with Freeform Tools like Polydraw retoplogy Tools easy.
3) - I just can think of snaping to axies, or scaling down.
4) - I am not sure that you wanna go to model, but extruding a an edge from a quad works fine you coul extrude all in a line like extrude the row of edgleloop around the eye and after that you can tweak your vertex, for more simple objekt you may consider to use Cap to close open areas of an Mesh (or in 3dsmax editeble Poly)
Or clean up it with Target Weld.

5) - I would highy suggest to use short cuts in 3dsmax,
I would not overwrite alt+ w and str + x, thease are the shortcuts for navigation the viewports.
if you use alt+w it´s imprte where your mouse coursor is located.
Customize -> Customize User Interface: Category: Editable Polygon Objects:
Connect - Shift+Ctrl+E.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
catche
Expert
portfolio
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway

sorry for being lazy, not typing out numbers on the questions, but i hope this answers some...

face modeling works by shift+dragging edges out with move tool (shortcut w), tho they have to be "open" as in not a closed off mesh

you can connect selected vertices with ctrl+shift+e

not sure exactly what you mean with that ctrl+f thing, but you can add polygons between other polys by bridging two edges (i have this hotkeyed to shift+b)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread