Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #76
strangerthings
Expert

A Roberts
Kingston upon Thame, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipdixel
Looks great, but isn't it about 300 bucks overpriced? or am I wrong.

Entirely up to you isn't it. I'd only buy one if it increase my productivity and meant I had more free time... We've talked about the 'competitor' devices and well... they are complete rubbish unfortunately.... but then again so was the Wacom 12" - pointless thing.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #77
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

I guess you're right. I have no issue dropping 1200 bucks on a plugin if I can use it on a job and double my money back, but for this, I guess you have to weight productivity. Good perspective. Currently no one wants to pay me to use Zbrush or draw , so maybe not for me right now haha

Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #78
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerthings
To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible.

I think this is only part of it. This is a tool for a very specialized market, so limiting their potential customers to some exotic new connection standard is not a good idea. And heaven forbid they should tailor the connection to Mac owners.

Quote:
I'd only buy one if it increase my productivity and meant I had more free time...

Seriously, can we put this myth to rest? Industry and corporations have been saying this for the past hundred years, and no one has more leisure time. What they have is time to do more work, which is now mandated by the fact that the guy down the street can also do more work, and you have to compete with him.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #79
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Seriously, can we put this myth to rest? Industry and corporations have been saying this for the past hundred years, and no one has more leisure time. What they have is time to do more work, which is now mandated by the fact that the guy down the street can also do more work, and you have to compete with him.
If you're managing your own time then you absolutely can have more leisure time. If you're working for a corporation that pays you to work a set number of hours in the day then yes, the chances are you will fill that time with more work.

I think it's a bit of a disservice to focus only on speed as an improvement, personally I find the whole experience much more satisfying. I enjoy using the Cintiq more than I do a standard graphics tablet and much, much more than I ever did using a mouse. Part of that is due to an increase in speed but that's really a by-product of it making retouching/Zbrushing (for me) a freer, more creative process.

I realise I am biased - I own and use a Cintiq and have found it to be a great investment but there are plenty of others who have tried them and don't get along with them at all. As you say, Wacom's products cater to a niche market and the negative voices are just as prominent as the positive, which I think is only a good thing.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #80
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Don't get me wrong - I loved working on a Cintiq 21" when I used to and it did increase my productivity. Plus, it was just plain more fun to draw and paint on than a Intuos.

My point is, you have a set amount of hours to work, and no new tool has allowed people to work less. All it means is that more work can be produced in the same amount of time. I challenge you to show me one incident where this wasn't the case.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #81
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I challenge you to show me one incident where this wasn't the case.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #82
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Well played, sir!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #83
seychellian
portfolio
Cosmic Rocket
Universe, Seychelles

Smile

Quote:
HDMI doesn't carry USB data. MHL though USB does carry Video, but it's not very good and limits the bandwidth. Thunderbolt would be a great option. To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible. They take years to redesign kit and when it comes out, there is always dozens of threads about why it's just not quite good enough.

Nope not without some serious customisation. The stand is pretty good actually.

Spec says 19 VDC 1.58 A (max) - way beyond the 5V 900MA (5amp - charging) USB spec.

Again the cost to implement would have pushed the price higher. Agree and the Wire port design is terrible - who ever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Something like this is screaming out for a magport at the very least.

There is of course this mythical Wacom Tablet coming this summer. But Would have to be Windows Pro ( not the RT crappola ) to be any use. Even android would be pointless.

Thanks for your thorough response. I would be interested to know which of the following is a possibility to happen with regard to this product:

- Is Wacom or a third party likely to release a swivel stand that accommodates this unit at some date in the future?

- Is Wacom or a third party likely to release a thunderbolt cable (not an adapter) for this unit this unit at some stage in the future?

- Based on their product release history will Wacom be launching a unit similar to this in the short term foreseeable future (12-18months) that may address some of my concerns?

- Is there a comparable alternative product from another company that is worth considering?

- Does this unit support finger gestures and multi-touch with the hand?

Thanks for sharing your ample knowledge about Wacom with us

Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #84
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread