reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
DaveAlej
Frequenter
portfolio
David Alejandro Bueno Araņķ
Central London, United Kingdom

Best tablets for 3D work in general.

Which is the Best tablet out there for 3d work in general. Whats your opinion, considering that pressing alt on the keyboard is easier because you are closer to the shortcuts.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

3D work doesnt particularly benefit from a tablet, just use one if you like the feel of it. Im not sure I follow with the alt key question; closer to what?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
DaveAlej
Frequenter
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
3D work doesnt particularly benefit from a tablet, just use one if you like the feel of it. Im not sure I follow with the alt key question; closer to what?

I said that about the alt key because generally with a tablet you hold alt in the keyboard so that you can navigate in the viewport like rotation zooming etc if the tablet doesn't have alt and ctrl on itself you would have to use the keyboard alt, having said that if you rely on the alt from the keyboard the shortcuts of the program itself would just be easier to access meaning I would click for example the S shortcut in Cinema4D to center in an object faster than if the alt was placed in the tablet itself.

I think I just answered my own question, a good tablet for 3D work would be a regular one with no extra buttons.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Tablet aren't well suite for 3D work.

At work we have some Catia users using some HP "SpaceBall 5000" 3D mouses, but I never tried it myself. We also have some 60" touch screen table and some Cintiq touch (in trial) that some use but no graphic tablet per se.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
DaveAlej
Frequenter
portfolio

Well I am surprised, never thought it would be so rare, all my teachers during my years of student in the fields used a graphic tablet for Maya, Nuke and many other programs maybe thats where I am picking up the habit, I can say that the navigation with a tablet is superb very easy and intuitive at least for 3D.

Last edited by DaveAlej : 03-07-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I think people are getting ipads mixed up with wacom tablets

Old 03-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #7
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
I'd say a tablet would be good for sculpting but that's about it- I use an Intuos in Mud and it excells there but I wouldn't use it in Maya. Even when sculpting in Maya I can't see it being worth it- too many space bar etc shortcuts

Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
chasecanade
Frequenter
portfolio
chase canadé
USA

Personally I use a Wacom - it does take some getting use to. If we are taking about that type drawing tablet.

My question to you would be do you mean, Which is the best - or best bang for the buck - or should I get one for 3D work at all and if so...?

For - "Should I use one for 3D work and if so..?"

I'd steer you to this article written in December of 2013 by Morr Meroz

Switching to a Wacom Tablet for 3D animation: How and Why.

"First figure out if you want one where you draw on an active screen or not" was a suggestion presented on another site and I'd have to agree with.

You can watch this video on "Which Graphics Tablet to buy for 2014"

This person sells them - so take it with a grain of salt, but it is informative.
And check of other review sites as well.

Like this general one from April 2013 "Digital Tablets! - How Much, Why, Who, etc."

I just saw a video breakdown - I think it may have even been here on CGS of an artist that used a tablet for 3D to 2D animation and they switched to something else due to crosshatching that they wanted to do that the tablet was having difficulty achieving.

It may be an alternative or at least something to keep in mind - I'll see if I can find the article and post a link.

At any rate - I use my Wacom and once I got use to it I pretty much use it for all my apps now.

I have seen some really nice 3D/Graphics mice though, and as Tuxon86 mentioned - they're also an alternative solution.

Or have both and switch between them

- chase -

Edit: Sorry I couldn't find the article I was mentioning. I 90% sure it was hosted here CGS and sent via the CGS newsletter a few weeks back. One of those "the Making of..." articles.

I just saw a behind the scenes with Dream Works 3D production. They are using the active style tablets for the most part. DreamWorks also released their own DreamWorks tablet called DreamTab for Android. The target market is for kids, but that does show that they are confident in using tablets for animation. Both 2D and 3D.

As far as a mouse for 3D, I was checking into the 3DConnexion as they have several.

The one that showed promise and I have no idea what happened to it was the "Axsotic 3D Sphierical" which was a 6D mouse. Showed serious promise in 2010 but seems to have just disappeared..??

Here is a pretty good article if you care to read it on the Axsotic 6D mouse with some video demos using it in a 3D app.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/...ge-old-problem/

Here is a video using one to control a number of things including a AR Drone Quad Copter posted 3 months ago on Vimeo. Though It looks like a prototype version or maybe a new version... maybe they are coming back?

I'd love to find one and give it test drive myself.

Hope this helped.

chase

Last edited by chasecanade : 03-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.

reply share thread