Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
moonhwa

portfolio
Tan Moon Hwa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Send a message via MSN to moonhwa Send a message via Yahoo to moonhwa
Unhappy Rejected submission

Dear friends, I've submitted this render to CG Talk twice but got rejected. I'm not sure what is the critical reason. Can anyone advise? I need help to improve the image. Please help and thanks for viewing.

Rejected image.

moonhwa

Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Don't be too disappointed about a rejection. The judges look for technical excellence among other things, and while your submission looks fine to me I wouldn't pit my opinion against a group of judges older and more experienced than me. A group of judges working to criteria or standards will have a wider view of things than the individual artist. Having said all that, I would probably feel a bit down if I submitted work and it was rejected. That's just the nature of it.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
skdzines
Frequenter
portfolio
Scott King
US

I don't typically do interiors for realistic renderings but if I were to give some advice I'd say the whole thing looks a bit too bright. Also it seems like it could use an ambient occlusion pass to really get some darker areas where the pillows and cushions meet as well as at the tracks to the sliding glass doors, etc. The curtains on the doors also seem to be very sheer-like and don't block much light coming from outside. Overall, I think it is pretty good, just really lacking shadows and those occluded areas.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
JasonA
Expert

portfolio
Jason Adank
3D Artist
Portland, USA

I might disagree with skdzines on the lighting, the exposure seems good and might be expected as such if shot with a camera manually and some time mid day as shown.

However compositionally, its a bit boring and Im not sure if the judges might be looking for a bit more drama. To that end, I would try changing the camera position to something more dramatic and also change the lighting to reflect mood. So maybe do a night time shot. Or even a sunset/sunrise kind of light setup. Mid day like you have it is just very plain.

The only other thing that jumped out to me when I looked at the image was the furniture models, in that they look.. a bit cartoon like, and very rigid. The couch and seats specifically.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
jtraylor
Veteran
portfolio
Justin Traylor
Denver, United States

I agree with JasonA about the furniture, it looks a little too stiff and rigid. Also, the camera seems to be in a strange spot to me, up by the ceiling isn't a place that most people would see the room from. Looks good overall though.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
moonhwa

portfolio
Tan Moon Hwa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks for all the valuable information shared with me. I know there're still a lot that can be done to get better result and make it look not so dull. It's true that the render is rather boring. This is the photograph (taken by others) that I used to creat this render. The initial idea is get my render to look similar to that of the photograph.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
FrederikP
Veteran
portfolio
Frederik
Germany

hi there. i am a character artist so i don't get to do many interiors but looking at your reference picture i think I see a few things you can improve:

the original seems to have a bit of a blueish tint to it which i guess comes from the sky outside whereas your image is pretty much yellowish throughout. would be nice to have some warm/cool shift int the lights vs shadows.

the floor seems to shiny from this angle of view, the original seems almost matte in comparison

did you use a tonemapper? i think you can model the behavior of the camera a bit better. look at your reference, see how blown out the backdoor and top lamps are? sure this is an artifact of the camera's limited range but if you're going for photorealism this is something i would include.

i like to use maya's phsysical lense shader for that stuff. it also has an option to burn the highlights which should give you the currently missing effect of more saturation in the halftones (very noticeable in the lamps onf the far right. in the reference the light glow of the lamps is very yellow almost orange in the halftones! theyre also more translucent (evenly scattered light throughout almost like skin) the same effect is missing on the plants. see hwo the light penetrates through the original plant's big leaves? that would add nice detail

the original's camera also has a bit of a lens warp going towards a fish eye effect (very subtle though) because of its small focal length.

also you might want to roll your camera slightly to the left in your image all horizontals are dead straight. they are angled in the photo though.

another thing is contact shadows. the pillows on the couch seem floaty because there is little to now shadow between them and the couch. a stronger Ambient occlusion pass of the whole scene could mimic that well!

Always look for difference when working from a photo, im sure you can find a lot more. i would also try to see where the scene is dirtier than your image. sure its a super tidy and clean apartment but still there will be areas of some wear and tear, dust or evidence of things having been used or moved etc

hope this helps. take care

Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #8
moonhwa

portfolio
Tan Moon Hwa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thanks for your time and very detailed descriptions FrederikP. I've created this model to study, learn and improve my skill. Due to my work at other sector, my time spend on 3D has become lesser. I'm grateful to have critics to help me to see what I missed.

I enjoy compositing realistic image both interior and exterior though sometimes limited by how much I know. You comments are a great challenge to me and I do hope I can make more out of it with your help. Thank you very much.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #9
moonhwa

portfolio
Tan Moon Hwa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I didn't use tonemapper, the image is almost a raw render. I used photoshop to removed a few artifacts due to render settings.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
FrederikP
Veteran
portfolio
Frederik
Germany

hi there,

glad my comments are useful to you, always happy to help.
Since most of my work is for real time purposes im also not a render pro but I am trying to study it at the side.
For a raw image this is very nice already but since you are making a single image (as opposed to animation) you can add a lot more visual elements easily.
Try rendering passes (not sure how the setup is in max) to seperate out the information and tweak it individually in photoshop. the control you get is amazing!

For example the first thing I would do is generate an Ambient Occlusion pass.
Now I am not a max user but in Maya I would just select all objects in the scene and apply a surface material with an AO node attached and render the image.

In photoshop you could then either multiply the AO over your image to get an idea how it works with your piece (changing the levels on it will grow or shrink the effect as well, pretty useful)

A better way to use AO though is described very well here: http://mentalraytips.blogspot.de/20...e-ambience.html

this should already add more depth to your scene as well as fix those floating issues with some of the objects!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread