Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
DarkSmokePUNCHER
portfolio
Dan Turchenko
University of Utah
Cottonwood Heights, USA

Rigging noob needs help bad

Hey all, for a school project I'm making an animation based on the painting "Nighthawks". I've never rigged human characters extensively before. I used this series of rigging tutorials to help me along.

First problem I ran into after rigging was when I tried importing a character, I couldn't scale it down to fit the scene, I had to scale the scene up because the skeleton wouldn't scale with the model.

Now, I can't rotate the character to be the right position in the scene. I created a main controller to which all my other controllers are parented, but when I rotate the main controller, everything goes to hell and the model ends up rotating weird. I can't post a pic of the problem right now as imgur seems to be down, but I'm sure one of you has run into this problem before. Rotating the grouped model doesn't work because again the skeleton rotates differently than the mesh.

can someone please explain to me how to make the models rotate correctly? I'm using Maya 2013 if that helps.

Thanks. This is what the scene looks like right now without the characters:

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

Put a copy of the file up as a .ma zipped up mate. a pic of the env and asking us to help with a character rig doesn't help.

Sounds like a freeze transform issue on the mesh or grouping the mesh with controls rig issue

Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
DarkSmokePUNCHER
portfolio
Dan Turchenko
University of Utah
Cottonwood Heights, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath
Put a copy of the file up as a .ma zipped up mate. a pic of the env and asking us to help with a character rig doesn't help.

Sounds like a freeze transform issue on the mesh or grouping the mesh with controls rig issue

long story short i gave up on this for now. No matter what, I couldn't get my rig to work right, there would always be weird rotation in the knees and shoulders. I started (and finished) a different project and signed up for a class dedicated only to rigging for the next semester of school.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
JMRocks
portfolio
Jose
Dallas, USA

This looks really cool, disappointed that quit on this project. I love the lighting.
What was the process like? What gave you the most problems in lighting this? How long did it take you to achieve this lighting?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread