Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
phantomworkshop
Know-it-All

J
Student
Boynton Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to phantomworkshop Send a message via Yahoo to phantomworkshop
Academy of Arts University Online Award of Completion

Hey everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has done the AAU Online Award of Completion and if they feel that this is a good program for someone whose at an intermediate level and is looking to just take a few courses in 3D modeling, put together a demo reel and try and get a job..

I'd love to hear your opinions and/or experiences with this program.

Thank you!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
GAVINO
Veteran
portfolio
Renzo Gavino
Animator/ Designer
Miami, USA

Hi there, I'm currently doing my Master's Degree there online, and it's been a great program so far. All the staff is very professional and has had or is still in the industry. I recommend it for anyone who wants to take a further step in their career.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
ArticSpider
Frequenter
portfolio
Kaelan Fox
San Francisco, USA

Personally I'm in the MFA program online at AAU and I am feeling burned out as in burned out a hole in my money and time. I've been at the school for about 2 years now and have gone a bit too far with it, but it's a school that only professionals should go to. If you are new, then you will be spending most of your time trying to keep your head above water because no one will help you.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Fess1001
Know-it-All

portfolio
Alex Bobylev
Character Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Fess1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSme
Personally I'm in the MFA program online at AAU and I am feeling burned out as in burned out a hole in my money and time. I've been at the school for about 2 years now and have gone a bit too far with it, but it's a school that only professionals should go to. If you are new, then you will be spending most of your time trying to keep your head above water because no one will help you.

Well, it *is* a Masters program, so it would seem appropriate to expect a more intense curriculum. BFA has classes that teach the foundations of cg/animation. I am taking BFA, and by no means am a professional, but I find that their classes, while pretty decent, aren't as intense as I would ve liked.

If you are new to 3d, it might be best to go to a school like gnomon/vfs/vanarts - or, even just buy a bunch of gnomon dvds and learn from them (cheaper and better way imo) and then come back and finish your masters. The way I see it, masters is something that gives you an opportunity to work on your own stuff more so than learn things from scratch..

Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
vcassel
Veteran
portfolio
Vladimir Cassel
Boca Raton, USA

For those of you taking the online program at Academy of Arts, with federal financial aid are you able to take just 2 courses at a time (6 credit hours) or do they only offer full time there?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
phantomworkshop
Know-it-All

J
Student
Boynton Beach, USA

Send a message via AIM to phantomworkshop Send a message via Yahoo to phantomworkshop
Basically, I'm an intermediate 3D artist, with some self-teaching experience through training DVDs and tutorials. I really want to do something that will get me working on projects, perfect my skills as a 3D modeler and learn a bit about shading, texturing, lighting and rendering along the way (if possible). I'm not looking for a 4 year well-rounded program right now, as I feel that every time I step into a "beginners" classroom I'm bored right away...

Especially in something like Life Drawing which is just something I've never seemed to grasp very well.

Your insight and opinions are very well appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Fess1001
Know-it-All

portfolio
Alex Bobylev
Character Artist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Fess1001
phantomworkshop->>

I m not aware of any schools that offer courses starting with 3d at a intermediate level. In fact a lot of schools don't even do a good job of teaching a beginners course.

I wanted to do exactly what you want to do (back in 2006). I went to do a 1 year Game Art and Design course in Vanarts. I think if you're absolutely set to get a demo reel done in as short amount of time as possible, then going to vfs/vanarts/gnomon is your best bet. But the first 6 months is going to be novice stuff anyways, unless you manage to convince them to let you work on your own...

But...and I m probably going to come off promoting this school...if you haven't got your art foundations down, and especially if you don't have a degree at all, I d strongly recommend getting one.

This school's 3d could definitely be better,but at least if you're good at 3d already, you can skip all the beginner 3d classes and get right into the advanced ones that would allow you to do portfolio worthy work..

I hated having to go here myself, but after a while I realized just how much I m getting out of it. I ve actually been taking just the traditional art classes here for the past year or so, something I would ve never imagined doing before, heh.

But anyways, wherever you decide to go, I wouldn't recommend doing an online course, unless it's the only option, or with a specific instructor that you know is awesome and who doesn't teach in any other way...

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
ArticSpider
Frequenter
portfolio
Kaelan Fox
San Francisco, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fess1001
Well, it *is* a Masters program, so it would seem appropriate to expect a more intense curriculum. BFA has classes that teach the foundations of cg/animation. I am taking BFA, and by no means am a professional, but I find that their classes, while pretty decent, aren't as intense as I would ve liked.

If you are new to 3d, it might be best to go to a school like gnomon/vfs/vanarts - or, even just buy a bunch of gnomon dvds and learn from them (cheaper and better way imo) and then come back and finish your masters. The way I see it, masters is something that gives you an opportunity to work on your own stuff more so than learn things from scratch..

The Master programs have the same exact classes as the undergrad so I don't see how much more intense they are. I'm burned out because I'm not learning anything or anything new. Also I don't see how this school can make me successful than I could have just doing it on my own. So I've pretty much given up on the school.I have a degree in another field I'm hoping it would be enough. Otherwise I've come to find the school is a big waste of time and money.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread