Realistic tree leaves

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2009
Realistic tree leaves

im looking to build a tree and cant seem to find any tutorials on how to make realistic looking leaves. if any one has a good method or a tutorial i could check out that would be great.

06 June 2009
I would love one as well, preferably one that covers the entire tree, not just the leaves. In addition, I would love one that covers how to create different kinds of tree--coniferous, deciduous, and palm type tree.

06 June 2009
This ones pretty good: http://scotchtapeworm.deviantart.co...orial-103101839

@cwisbg: detailed leaves in polygons or in a texture?

@fuzzylizard: palm leaves can be done with simple planes, have a look at Crysis to see what I mean. Spruce (needle trees) again planes with texture are likely your best bet...

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by GrogMcGee: This ones pretty good: http://scotchtapeworm.deviantart.co...orial-103101839

@cwisbg: detailed leaves in polygons or in a texture?

@fuzzylizard: palm leaves can be done with simple planes, have a look at Crysis to see what I mean. Spruce (needle trees) again planes with texture are likely your best bet...

Thanks for the link lol

06 June 2009
that tutorial looks great, but im lookin for more realistic leaves.

06 June 2009
Red face

I guess you can use this tutorial to create the realistic leaves. I guess its all about texturing...

06 June 2009
^i would agree, however i would like to see something that might cover the texture and material creation a little. something that might address a bump map or a translucency map as-well. i remember seeing one i just cant find it.

07 July 2009
for realistic leaves you would need 2-4k images of the leaf next you need to make:

spec
bump
displacement
transparency
and subsurface scatter maps

also it all depends how close the camera is going to be on the leaf, jus something to consider

hope that helps

07 July 2009
Originally Posted by thehive: for realistic leaves you would need 2-4k images of the leaf next you need to make:

spec
bump
displacement
transparency
and subsurface scatter maps

also it all depends how close the camera is going to be on the leaf, jus something to consider

hope that helps

2-4k?! I'm guessing you mean that those should be the reference and not the final colour texture size (and related maps)? Since that could get pretty memory intensive pretty fast and unless the scene really is going to be focusing on the leaves (in which case real geo might better) the leaves are unlikely to individually take up more than 500 ish pixels on the screen which would mean that a 512 texture should be adequate, 1k if you want be on the (extra) safe side.

07 July 2009
most defiantly , an the 2-4k would be for close up if anything

02 February 2010
That would be for a shot close in on the tree, if your just making a forest you don't need very much.

Check out http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...92&page=1&pp=15

Lots of good info in this thread about textures and shaders for tree leaves.

My Website.

My CG Portfolio.

02 February 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread