Ubisoft CEO: Cloud Gaming Will Replace Consoles After the Next Generation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Days Ago
Quote: Game IDEs are a false equivalent of DCC tools because game tools are dependent on DCC created assets. The dependency on other very expensive tools plus the shift to lo-fi game graphics in indie game development space where there are lots of free alternative tools and content creations tools plus pirated software ultimately drove Epic and Unity and Amazon (CryEngine/Lumberyard) to make their software "free."

Black Magic is giving/gave Fusion away for free to increase the marketshare of the app because it never could compete with After Effects/Nuke/Shake (back in the day) Ultimately, they've integrated Fusion into DaVinci, so I expect them to stop giving it away or at least they'll stop giving away the full version of the app at some point soon when Fusion in DaVinci is completely solid.

All of that software could still have been sold for actual cash rather than being given away for free. Look at all the other game engines that you still have to pay for. My point was simply that, often, a company will take a product they could sell, and give it away to gain an advantage somewhere else. As all of those companies have done.

Quote: As for Adobe it's clear they were losing money in the beginning, that much was reported and I'm not absolutely sure their doing bang up business now only because they investing so heavily in non- graphics technology like generalized analytics for multiple industries which they never did before. The resentment that's been building because they hold the customers under siege with "rental only" policies will eventually cross paths with mature alternative tools and the bottom will fall out for "Rental Only" software developers. I have to believe Adobe has some premonition of this and it's why they're trying to build their brand in other industries.

They were losing money in the beginning as was "reported", but they also actually planned on losing money in the beginning. They knew that would happen, so I'm not sure it's really an indicator of anything other than the fact that they correctly predicted it. I'm with you that I am also not exactly sure where things sit financially at this point (for Adobe), but I wouldn't expect any kind of shift back to non-rental plans any time soon. While there is still backlash and resentment, there is also a pretty big consumer base that is not only fine with the rental deal, but doesn't even see it as bad. I hope I end up wrong on that, but I don't think I am.

2 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Crotalis: ... and give it away to gain an advantage somewhere else...

I'm glad we're on the same page with some things, but yeah this (above) is just nonsensical thinking. Have you ever heard of a gas station giving gas away without any additional purchase? Have you heard of an ice cream shop handing out the most popular ice cream they sell for free? Sometimes with perishables employees will give expiring goods away at the end of the day, but again they couldn't be sold. Maybe with a retailer if they have something that they can't really sell at a profit and they give it away to get people through the front door, but that's only because they have a wide variety of products to sell.

Again, if they are giving it away it's because they couldn't sell it at a profit or a reasonable profit. Perhaps there are other objectives tied to it but those other objectives wouldn't have developed if the product could be sold for a good profit. It's just basic business, at least half of the time has nothing do with the product or quality of the product it's just about what the market will yield, or not, for that product at that time.

reply share thread