Modeling and animating in VR, is this the future for DCC?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Weeks Ago
Quote: Your 4 hour ZBrush sculpt may happen in 24 minutes if you can use all 10 fingers to sculpt in 3D.

I very much doubt that. I started in traditional FX, which means I've spent many a day pushing around actual clay. For myself and most of the folks I know who went through that transition, we sculpt about the same or faster in digital as we did IRL. For me, I can block things out a little faster in actual clay, but I more than make up for that by how fast I can detail in digital. Adding the ability to use all ten fingers will likely make things more intuitive, but probably not that much faster. Plus, even in real clay, there's plenty of times where you are using a stylus-like tool rather than your fingers, so even if we had the ability to use all ten fingers, there would still be plenty of times we'd need to use something like a stylus.

2 Weeks Ago
PCVR has a ways to go simply because the the sales of the hardware is more or less dead already now.  The methodology of coding to the lowest common denominator picked up from common flat game development hurts a lot of projects, and the total abandonment of of proper edgeflow modeling for normal map/displacement map detail hurts a lot of projects (supported by points made by John Carmack at Oculus Connect 4 or 3 I think)  Up close normal maps don't work well at all.  I've always said that the PC gaming community is really built around a the notion of it being a pissing contest or a retro pixelmaniac's dream and because VR basically steals resources from that or is the antithesis of what some gamers are looking for the largest part of that community may never accept VR.

PSVR on the other hand probably will continue to do very well moving forward, because Sony has internal studios that are well funded and commissioned projects are well funded.  The audience on that side seems more about exploring more experiential learning through gaming and through familiar gaming IP that Sony has developed over the years, some are skeptical of the medium but the more popular IP that makes it's way there the more that breaks down...Sony did make a billion dolllars the first year and I doubt the spent anywhere near a billion dollars (not including the last couple of decades (1990's) of Sony VR dev that got rolled into PSVR R&D.)  Sony is probably "Right Fitting" the funding part of the equation and are just now really pouring money in to help finance making higher volumes of VR content, after a lot of mistakes have been made and teams have fallen, but development on Playstation is pretty closed.  Wipeout for VR and Skyrim/Resident Evil 7 on PSVR first is a big deal expect more of that.  It seems like the next year and a half will constitute a possible big year of releases for them and another round of funding by Sony for exclusive content on their HMD and maybe they will open up a little to third parties. 

I doubt "VR is the future" but there is definitely a large chunk of the market that's going to be VR...it's just not going to happen the way most people thought it would or the way a lot of people want it to.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if the first version of a VR ZBrush or Maya or Unity or Unreal or CryEngine shows up on PS5, when it releases at this point.          

Last edited by Imhotep397 : 2 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by masterofacid: You do have a talent for making completely outrageous claims. I am sure that any fake news organization would be happy to hire someone with your capabilities of distorting reality.

As a matter of fact, you may be able to do it in 12 minutes if you use your feet too. But this you already know.

Have you ever tried using VR data-gloves? Probably not. I did, about 15 years ago in a VR and interactive tech research lab. They are fucking amazing.

Yes, you will get much faster speed both in 3D sculpting and 3D box modeling with data-gloves. And the process will be much easier for people who have problems manipulating 3D models with a 2D mouse or 2D wacom stylus on a flat 2D screen.

In 3D sculpting for example, you could literally hold the 3D model in one hand, and use the fingers on the other to sculpt on it.

Plus data-gloves let you use 3D hand gestures to switch modes instead of keeping one hand on a keyboard for shortcut keys all the time.

But be my guest - use your already outdated 3D modeling workflows for the next 20 years, until you retire entirely maybe.

Don't come crying to me when your current job position gets outsourced to cheap 3D workers in India or the Phillippines in the next 5 years.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by skeebertus: Have you ever tried using VR data-gloves? Probably not. I did, about 15 years ago in a VR and interactive tech research lab. They are fucking amazing.

But be my guest - use your already outdated 3D modeling workflows for the next 20 years, until you retire entirely maybe.

Don't come crying to me when your current job position gets outsourced to cheap 3D workers in India or the Phillippines in the next 5 years.
So you claim to know what I have tried and not tried, which mean that you still stick to your claim of a 10x speed up? Can't you just admit that you made a BS claim? As others have pointed out too, you do not sculpt with 10 fingers, you often use sort sort of stylus, just like zbrush. Tone down the over-top crap and stick to what is known and provide references for your speculations.

No, I won´t come crying, I have already left the 3D business for Economics. And from an economic perspective the outsourcing and the changes in the 3D industry will be really interesting to follow.

2 Weeks Ago
Quote: Have you ever tried using VR data-gloves? Probably not. I did, about 15 years ago in a VR and interactive tech research lab. They are fucking amazing.

Yes, you will get much faster speed both in 3D sculpting and 3D box modeling with data-gloves. And the process will be much easier for people who have problems manipulating 3D models with a 2D mouse or 2D wacom stylus on a flat 2D screen.

In 3D sculpting for example, you could literally hold the 3D model in one hand, and use the fingers on the other to sculpt on it. 

Just curious if you saw my reply above.

EDIT:

Quote: it's just not going to happen the way most people thought it would or the way a lot of people want it to.  

Agreed. That's what I've been saying. Where I am, we use VR/AR with a lot of BtoB type stuff and have a ton of success with it. On the other hand, we've done almost nothing for the consumer space. Everyone wants VR to be the next thing in Entertainment, but I really think it's impact is going to be felt more in the business and research realms. 

Last edited by Crotalis : 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 AM.

2 Weeks Ago
Loved this video. love your work. I was struggling trying to figure out how to use the guide tools and came across this demo. Watching you work it in the video made the concept snap and I have since been able to start using the guide lines. Thank you for sharing this!
Plex Lucky Patcher Kodi

Last edited by zamakli : 4 Days Ago at 02:17 PM.

2 Weeks Ago
And lets not forget the motion sickness!
I worked on VR pieces going way back to 1991-92. Way too easy to occur. Happened to me.
Its said up to 40% of users experience it in VR - thats almost *half*.

My friend who has a system today  (and plays games on it) says its still a big time issue. A game thats 'minimized' the issue 
have tried hard to design around it. More info here.
https://skarredghost.com/2016/11/28...otion-sickness/

The art making process can't be so canned as the absolute freedom of movement and maximum flexibility required for an artist to look
what they want and were they want and when they want means the movement and whats/up/down/balance/vertigo/colors/etc factor will
be completely *random* and context specific.

I bet an susceptible artist  can't help but make themselves sick!
The commonality of this issue likely means that adoption it as a industry standard would quite likely be seen as an cruel
and unusual punishment.  I can't see smart studios requiring employees to use this.
They might have to filter out everyone that doesn't have a super human inner ear.

Last edited by circusboy : 2 Weeks Ago at 09:36 PM.

reply share thread