which is better ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2012   #1
which is better ?

Hey everybody,

Im an animation student from Idia. Just finished with my undergraduate degree .

Im more of a 2D guy but , as time changes the relevance of the art is deteriorating , and i found this strong urge to switch to 3D animation as i found it more challenging , and also a lot of opportunities as compared to 2D field.

So what i need to know is - What is the difference between learning 3D animation online (digital tutors ) and attending a full time masters degree in the same major sumwhere in the UK or US .

All i need is a resource where i can build a strong base in Maya for 3D animation

I'd like to receive some valuable advice on the pros and cons of learning it directly from a Mentor ( college ) and learning through online tutorials .

thanks for your time

Old 04 April 2012   #2
Hi saico1990, this is a heavily debated issue, and there are loads of threads concerning this subject. From my experience, you can learn a hell of alot more online by using WIP threads, becoming involved in a CG community, and using online tutorials created by people who are actually working in the industry, than by a applying for Master's Degree which I assume will cost you alot of money.

What often happens at higher education levels, particularly post-graduate, is that lecturers will ask you to learn all the technical stuff in your own time, share some basic design and art theory with you, and then set you work to do. You might get some good feedback off them to improve your work, but you can get an excellent level of feed back by using these free forums.

Also if you want something to stick something on your CV, and a mentor to give you professional feedback, I would highly recommend checking out cgsociety's workshops. I am sure there are some tailored to 3D animation.

Old 05 May 2012   #3
which is better ?

It is better to learn from someone than learning online. your doubts will be cleared by the mentor, bur e-learning is also a good approach, you need not depend on anyone to learn. You can learn whenever you want through online. It depends on you, how you want to learn. don't hesitate to learn, just learn the way you want.

Old 05 May 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread