Anyone use Silo for 3d print models?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Anyone use Silo for 3d print models?

Does anyone use Silo for making models for 3d printing? I was wondering because Blender has some tools to help with making sure models are correct. It would be nice if Silo had something similar. Or maybe the Silo team could put up some tutorials on using Silo for 3d printing - I'm sure there'd be people interested. Helps to add extra interest in Silo

10 October 2014
Originally Posted by Eva0: Does anyone use Silo for making models for 3d printing? I was wondering because Blender has some tools to help with making sure models are correct. It would be nice if Silo had something similar. Or maybe the Silo team could put up some tutorials on using Silo for 3d printing - I'm sure there'd be people interested. Helps to add extra interest in Silo

Hi eva, im also looking for a 3dmodeler for 3d printing. Silo looks good because it runs on Fedora which is the OS i use. The only questions i have are.

1) does Silo support 3d printer coordinate orientation, ie XY with ascending Z, most of the modelers i have played with only support Scene modeling coordinate orientations which seem to be XZ with ascending Y.

2) can Silo handle and preserve the components of CSG models, rather tham forcing everything to be rendered down into meshes.

3) does Silo support metric dimensions, particularly millimetres.

I supose i will have to download it and try it out.

12 December 2014
Same sort of question here

I am also interested in using this modeler for 3D printing as well as CNC applications and while it looks good for my applications I am having problems setting the grid. This is important to me since I need to be able to create a model that will fit within the build envelope AND be the exact size I need it to be. Right now the default Grid Spacing is 3' 3.370" and the Grid Width is 32' 9.701" so pretty much anything I create in this space will be several feet in length (or width, height, etc.) and I need to be dealing in inches (neither my printer or CNC creates anything that could be measured in feet...okay the CNC does but BARELY).

Now I have tried to set these values to something closer to my maximum build/milling areas but the values wont stay, they keep resetting to the defaults. Does anyone know what the process is to set Silos environment (maybe you don't do it in the grid) so I can make models in the inches range and be able to trust exactly what the dimensions are when I export it?

Thanks in advance!

12 December 2014
Hi,

if you set the "Display Settings" - Work Grid Width and Work Grid Spacing it should stay the same after rebooting, at least it works in the OSX version.

Regards
Stefan

reply share thread