FATAL ERROR: Attempting to save in...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Quote: Fatal Error. Attempting to save in

To me it sounds like: Maya had a fatal error for some reason, and not to lose the work it saved the scene to a temporary file. So you probably don't care about the backup in temp, but about the fatal error. If it's a pristine Windows and a pristine Maya, and it's a problem at starting Maya, then video card drivers are a good bet.

From my experience with Nvidia, I am being very careful when installing a new driver, and I watch the system for bugs afterwards. For example, for my quadro, all the three new drivers from the past last year caused an infinite texture error, or random freezes in Windows. It was quite hard to track the problems to the new drivers, and finally I reverted back the driver to the last driver offered by the laptop manufacturer (Dell) which was half a year old.
So try the driver from your manufacturer, or look for a restore point in Windows before the driver was changed.

10 October 2013
from the description it really does sound like the known incompatibility of the newer Nvidia drivers - with optimus driver and Autodesk CIP component. believe Nvidia is working on a change to their driver, hopefully released soon. work arounds disable optimus switching in bios.

10 October 2013
Thank you two for your help. I'll try your recommendations and post the feedback here.

Tanks a lot.

11 November 2013
Hi, sorry for my late reply.

I tried several solutions, to get Maya working. Finally it seemed to be the NVIDIA driver, as you said.

I won't count my chickens before they are hatched, but Maya works.

I chose version of the driver that was released before, I had the trouble. Now I try to tweak the advanced settings, because it seems to lag a bit in the viewport. (Actually that was a problem I had before, but I managed to fix it via NVIDIA's system config)

Thank you all very much and cross your fingers that Maya will keep tame

best regards

Rejka

12 December 2013
Yes, I can now report that maya is pretty stable for some time. Sometimes of course it decides to crash suddenly but it happens only exceptionaly. I beleieve mine problem was in nVidia drivers, now I got it working and also Mudbox works (it didnt before - unexpected error). So crossing the fingers

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread