Vray Shadow Pass

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Vray Shadow Pass

I am having problems rendering a shadow pass in Vray. The only way i can succesfully render a shadow pass is using Vray Mtl Wrapper. Is the Render Element Shadow broken? OR am i doing something wrong? I attached an image of a simple scene to illustrate my problem.

04 April 2013
Here is another example of a shadow pass i am getting. In the RGB it's this and in the alpha i get the ground and sphere no shadow. Shouldn't i not be getting color in my Shadow Render Element ? In the second image, it's exactly what i am looking for but without using Vray_Mtl_Wrapper. Shouldn't the Shadow Render Element render out a shadow pass like this without having to use Vray_Mtl_Wrapper?

04 April 2013
Here is one with a Vray_mtrl_Wrapper. I am looking for this, but shouldn't the Shadow Render Element render this without using mtrl_wrapper? I am confused..

04 April 2013
Hi Ruben,

Vray's shadow render element works 'backwards', you add (layer mode) it on to your final image to remove shadows.

I think you want to use the matte shadow render element.

Hope that helps,
Ian

04 April 2013
Ian, thank you so much that is what i was looking for. Eh, some of these tutorials online skip certain things like this and assume you know how to do it yourself! Great website and tools you have by the way.

04 April 2013
I spoke too soon. I tried it on this tutorial and it's still not working. Here is a render of the Matte Shadow. Any idea why this is happening?

04 April 2013
That's a strange case. When I use matteShadow I get only black and white image with the shadow area being white.

I usually prefer using render layer and vray object property override to get the alpha of the whole shadow without the object obscuring it.

04 April 2013
Definately strange. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening.
I read somewere that sometimes Render Elements don't render appropriate when using Render layers so i tried it on the Master Layer and no dice. My materials are all basic. If i use the Shadow Matte on a simple sphere and plane scene it renders out correct. Could anything in the render globals or parameters in my materials or lights be causing this or is Shadow Matte simply broken on my machine.

04 April 2013
I never have problem using render layers. It really depends on what parts you want for your comp. If your studio wants to separate characters off of the ground, then you'll need render layers. That, or create multiple Maya files with different settings.

04 April 2013
Does anyone know why this can be happening? It happens even though i apply regular vray shaders with no changed parameters.

06 June 2013
Really the only way to do this that works consistently is by following these instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RyHYXoUza4

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread