Knowing when to quit?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by TeeJayEllis: It's the engine! So. Many. Parts.

The bike I was planning to model is a Harley 883. The two things kicking my ass are the complexity of the engine, and the numerous parts that are scattered about the frame but difficult to make out. Would be much easier to figure out if I had one in the garage but alas I do not.

Yeah you have to go to a dealer or track one down and take loads of ref shots with a reasonable camera. Unless you can get your hands on the blue prints you are pretty much stuck. Your own shots will show things the publicity shots wont.

Also just start.

05 May 2013
Some recommendations: start simple and with rough shapes. Figure out the large shapes first(like the engine as a whole) then start building the smaller shapes from there. I personally don't detail anything until I have a very good representation of the basic shapes in 3d. Keep a folder with lots and lots of references, maybe even make a collage of specific parts in Photoshop so you're not constantly flipping between images. Kinda obvious stuff, but worth mentioning.

05 May 2013
Just so you know, I am sitting at my desk right now with an impossibly difficult mess to sort out on a monster shot that you could consider an FX nightmare. To solve it I will take bite size chunks of vops and run paste , test to debug the problem. Apply the same approach to modeling , test your techniques on doing small parts ! .

Good luck /

B

05 May 2013
Keep at it, and as others have suggested, build it up bit by bit. On a wire-wheeled HD there are over 100 parts in each wheel alone.
Good thing is that the 883 is very common and Google Images will be a great resource for you.

05 May 2013
If you have a problem and you cant solve it break it down to simpler ones and resolve them bit by bit. This approach works because sometimes when we cant understand something we get disoriented and panicky. I think in most of the cases this is a psychological problem that shuts down our rational thinking and intuition .
As somebody mentioned start with the big shapes first and then progress with the details. If you can draw do sketches first - this way you will get familiar with the form. It always helps me.
And the last thing : Never give up!

05 May 2013
I don't know if my answer is politically correct or not, or people are going to be mad at me or not, but this is my take on it.

Dear OP, now is a good time to quit.

Why? Because you have to ask other people. That's why. I think you are advanced enough to start modelling that so you've been around in the industry (even as a hobby).

Give it a while. If you really love it, you will return to it (3d). If you don't, that's mean 3D is not your calling.

After all, it didn't sound like its your job, but merely a hobby.

edit:

A calling is something you do even if you doesn't have to work for the rest of your life.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread