Silo subD question like Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Question Silo subD question like Maya

In Maya u can select and edge and then go to menu Subdiv Surfaces / Full Crease Edge/Vertex. and it gets the subDivided edge for example and gives u a hard edge. Is there a feature like that in Silo?

06 June 2005
You mean edge weighting i assume. There is but it's either all on or all off and I think i read it wasn't exportable so it's basically useless from what i've read about it. This was an important feature to me in my next modeller and one of the main reasons i'm not using silo after playing with the demo.

06 June 2005
That...or you want to use 'Crease edge' and 'Uncrease edge' from the subdivision menu.

06 June 2005
Crease edge and uncrease is cool. So I can do edges I tried doing vertices but that didnt work I can do that in Maya can you do that in Silo and if yes how? or is it only an edge deal?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by swampthing: You mean edge weighting i assume. There is but it's either all on or all off and I think i read it wasn't exportable so it's basically useless from what i've read about it. This was an important feature to me in my next modeller and one of the main reasons i'm not using silo after playing with the demo.

I like to use bevels instead. Since I use Messiah, with donīt support edge weighting, thatīs is my only option.
It also makes the model more compatible.

Last edited by AAAron : 06 June 2005 at 07:30 PM.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by ArtofacksOne: Crease edge and uncrease is cool. So I can do edges I tried doing vertices but that didnt work I can do that in Maya can you do that in Silo and if yes how? or is it only an edge deal?

Sorry no verts yet, just lines.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by AAAron: I like to use bevels instead. Since I use Messiah, with donīt support edge weighting, thatīs is my only option.
It also makes the model more compatible.

That's what i'm accustomed to as well but I wanted my next modeller to support edge weighting to cut down on the extra geometry and the issues that can arise from adding that extra geometry sometimes. I come from a lightwave background so i have a list of features i definately wanted as i was tired of workarounds.

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread