Weather change and day and night

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2003   #1
Weather change and day and night

Hi all,

I have to make an animation for school.
In this animation, i have to show a desert, where day turns in to night pretty fast, and back to day again. After a while, it start to rain in this desert and grass will start to grow and things will get a bit cloudy. When this season is over after some days and nights, the grass will wither and remove itself from the landscape, first turning brown.

I have the following software at school:

Photoshop 7
3d studio Max 5
After effects 5.5
Premiere 6.5

I have never attempted to make an animation like this. I mostly do characters and objects and don't have much experience with environments, but i want to create a scene as realistic as possible. So i thought some of you might have attempted a scene like this, and could give me some advice how to create this scene, so i can avoid some pitfalls in the proces.

I think i am posting this question in the right forum, if not, please let me know.

Old 11 November 2003   #2
Hey DogmaD,

I once did an animation where I had to turn a live plate that was shot during the day into a shot that looked as if it was taken at night. It was a lot more simple than what you're talking about here, but what I did was apply a gradient over my live plate. The gradient was a series of colors that resembled a night sky. I applied if over the live plate using (after effects at the time) a layer setting of "Color". This made my plate look like a night scene, after some tweaking here and there I got a look that was acceptable.

You can make the gradient in Photoshop, then overlay it in After Effects. Then you can animate the gradient layer to fade in or out at what ever speed you want...I guess. Like I said, the animation I did was much simpler and didn't involve the changing of day to night....

As far as yer grass growing and dieing, I don't know anything about Max, so I don't think I can be much help. Do you have some sort of fur or hair generator? I would look there first.

Good luck with it. If you start to get it worked out, please share, I would like to see what you come up with.

Now What?

Old 01 January 2006   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread