RayFire Question.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
RayFire Question.

Hi all,

Very much new to RayFire. Just playing around with it since morning.

A few questions:

1. I have a dynamic object and a static object in the scene and I want the dynamic object to be locked down inside the static object. Don't know what I am doing wrong the dynamic object just flies off doesn't stay inside.
2. Each time I press the preview button in the RayFire floater window I get different results, what could be the reason for that?
3. How can I avoid the calculating dialog each time I press the preview button in the Rayfire floater dialog? Is there anyway we could cache the calculations?

Here is the picture of the scene:

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Why does one of the objects disappear when I press the preview button? It happens both with MassFx and RayFire.

Please somebody help me with this.

I am trying to hang the big metal thing on the rollers that you see in the picture. For some reason the metal thing disappears when I press the preview on both MassFX and RayFire.

Last edited by sumchans : 04 April 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
1. Is the torus set to convex (the default) or concave (what is needs to be). Examine the chain building video I made for you earlier

2. You probably have an interpenetrating object (ie refer to #1 to fix) Whe you have an object that is interpenetrating another object the solver tries to compensate for it, for it to try and compensate exactly as it did the time before seems strange to me.

3. Just use the "Bake" button instead of the preview it will create keyframes.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Hi Johnny,

Torus as you said is set to concave and the objects are not at all penetrating with each other.

Double checked it. Just acts weird, sometimes it just falls off through the torus's and the other times it disappears with no change in the settings at all.

I have the file uploaded with this posting, if you could please check it out an help me.

Thanks Johnny again.

I was just wondering why this section of the forum is not active at all. I made this post 3 days ago and didn't get even a single response.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RayFire Issue.zip (145.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #5
What are you trying to do?

If the rings are part of a chain or something, you have them backwards, the rings need to be dynamic, not static.

If you are trying to use the rings as static points for the large piece to hinge on, honestly if you could even get it to work with dynamics, I do not know why you would, just keyframe it, give yourself ultimate control, and save yourself the headache.

There are only 3 objects in the scene, why are they skewed off center? ie not straight. Did you import them from another scene?

Old 04 April 2013   #6
The 3 things that you saw are part of a big alien ship. I deleted everything to keep it smaller in size in order to attach it. I want the large piece to hang on the hinge and have a free hanging movement in the air. That's why I thought about dynamics.

Sorry for the confusion Johnny.

Here the clear picture:

1. The whole piece:

Old 05 May 2013   #7
I missed your reply, sorry

I would totally just axis constraint that hinged object to its parent (the ship) and keyframe the animation. It is a total waste of time to sim something like that IMO. Learn to cheat (that would actually be the proper old school way to do it anyway)

Kinda like this:
https://vimeo.com/66123675

Attached the scene:
Attached Files
File Type: zip max2011_PF_LinkConstraints.zip (74.3 KB, 59 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #8
That's no problem Johnny,

I was kind of settling down on the dynamics thing. After a few trials it came up as desired. But maybe you are right, I might be doing it the long way. Just kept it aside for sometime, now working on the other parts.

My intention is to make the plates rotate to the opposite direction depending on the force and then make it settle down hanging.

Thanks for preparing the video and the max file. I really appreciate the time you spent to clarify it to me.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread