ranchcomputing.com - they have a new regular :D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
ranchcomputing.com - they have a new regular :D

well i'm mightily impressed - just had a shot at www.ranchcomputing.com and i have to say i'm super impressed by the speed.

I did a quick test scene...
Maya 2010 with mental ray

MISSS shaded object with huge levels of subsurface sampling (256 samples instead of default 64), high levels of displacement (tripled the meshes default numbers), 1000's of final gather points and mental ray lights with lots of soft shadows and high sampling. Anti aliasing at full production quality and raytrace counts etc..

My quad core work machine with 4 x 3ghz processors and 16gb of ram was taking 5:33 a frame.

So i signed up to ranchcomputing and had a shot at rendering off 60 frames.

It fired the lot out inside 3 minutes Seriously i had just finished reading an email that said 'your job has been started' ...then got another email 'your job is finished' ...insane!!! Cost me 6 euros which is next to nothing ..i've spent more on a pack of crisps, a mars bar and a sandwich from Boots in town! I was later told by one of the guys at the place that the system took longer to actually distribute the frames than it did to render them hahahaha!

Totally superb service and rocket fast... i'll be testing it in anger now I have a rough handle on the system of upload etc.. but i figured they guys deserved a shameless plug - jump on it guys its worth your pennies!!!

ant

Last edited by anthonymcgrath : 11 November 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath: ..i've spent more on a pack of crisps, a mars bar and a sandwich from Boots in town!

That wouldn't be hard, they are robbing fekkers.

Seriously though, that render price is very good. 10 cents a frame and in record time too. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Originally Posted by Dillster: That wouldn't be hard, they are robbing fekkers.

Seriously though, that render price is very good. 10 cents a frame and in record time too. Thanks for the heads up.

first time i read that i thought you meant ranchcomputing are robbing feckers hehehe - Boots are crooks... as do most places that think sticking a few bits of skeffy chicken amidst a tortilla wrap with mayo and lettuce is worth a fiver!

anyway back on topic - yes the price is very good - it'll be very interesting to see how it works out with a much more complex render but as i say with what i've seen so far its very very VERY fast! Seriously turn around on doing renders for clients on this in the future would be mindblowing!

oh yeah... Wanna know the best bit? 50 euro FREE trial if you sign up if that doesn't get you having a pop at it what will

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread