The Dreadnought

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
The Dreadnought

Hello!

I did this model os the boardgame "Space Crusade" in my spare time and I decided to submitted it to the showcase gallery, but it was declined.

I show the picture to discuss the possible failures that you can detect.

All critiques all welcome, thank you

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Thumbs up

its good with alot of detail but i think it lacks an environment. make it like its fighting in a desert with an enemy or something with sand flying or something like that. other than that its good work.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Maybe it just me, but hydraulics on arms looks to much thin and fragile, compared to arms and weapons overall volume.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Cool design and lovely detailing It's great you put that painted skull on the front. You should try a version with a cute bunny face as well!
Also great attention to texturing detail.
Are you going to make more renders? Those two are great for showing the asset itself. I can picture something back lit where all the surfaces are defined by rim lights and glossy reflections of the metal and paint surfaces. Might look cool and sort of evil
How many hours did it take you from A to Z?

Cheers
Andre

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Hello everyone! Thanks for your comments!

I know that the arms are a bit small in relation with the missile launcher and the gatlin machineGun that I called "Impatient", like the machineGun in Predator fim but when I saw that issue, I already was in the rigging process and change the size of the arms was a big problem and I decided didn´t change it.

For Andre and for all , I had upload more images in my web www.mgn3d.com
Direct link http://mgn3d.com/?cat=25, here there are a rell about the dreadnought and a video explaining the rig.

It took me several months finish the model because i had to do the rigging at the same time that I did the modelling for the pivot points works well. I don´t know how much time I worked on it but I think it was about one year and six months. At the same time I was working and there were times whre I did nothing specially in summer.

For the unwrapping and texturing proccess I did an excel file where I pointed all the times.
Unwrapping was about 43 hours
Texturing was 200 hours
It must be taken into account that the model has 131 objects, although some of the are instances and the unwrap for example I only did once.

One question, Do you think that CGSociety declined my image to the CGShowcase because it hasn´t a modeled background???

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Yea, I agree with the above.

The modelling and texturing are really well done , but the environment and lighting looks kind of flat.

Not sure how big this thing is supposed to be, but the camera angle makes it look small. It would look bigger if you lowered the camera angle, zoomed in, and widened the shot.

It might help to slightly offset your framing as well. Seems a bit too centred.

I really like the pose though.

Looking forward to your updates!

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Great work, but the skull image looks too plain for such a design. I would think how to make it more original.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by mgarcia: I know that the arms are a bit small in relation with the missile launcher and the gatlin machineGun that I called "Impatient", like the machineGun in Predator fim but when I saw that issue, I already was in the rigging process and change the size of the arms was a big problem and I decided didn´t change it.

I don't think that any rig makes it that hard to select hydra's and scale it up a bit, to something like this:

And construction instantly looks way more durable, imho. Arms itself are fine - they have enough metal to make expression that they can handle that weight.

In max, that sort of details only needs an LookAt constraint, after all, I don't think that another programms makes that to much different.

Last edited by Darth-Biomech : 10 October 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
I really love this work. Lots of small details. I think this piece of work is of a high level, & deserve to be shared with others in the finished gallery. I think no one but the judges can expalin why this image is rejected. My guess would be lack of background & lighting can be improved.

I think a nice (even simple) background will enhance the image, & also better lighting. The lighting you have now show off the details, but is too evenly lited, hence not as dynamic.

I think the images you have now can be used as complimentary images for a beauty shot to be submitted.

No special preference for the background, but it would be cool if there are fire from the guns (can be pist work I guess), & the light from the flashes give additional illumination to the mech. That would be quite dynamic in my view.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
Ok Darth-Biomech!
I thought you meant the arms are weak. Yea i think that increase the radius of the hidraulics it is a good idea!
i'll try it !
Thanks

Old 11 November 2012   #11
I agree with previous messages that arms hydraulics look too thin. The robot has to bee scary, so he has to have big arms that cannot be destroyed with one shot.

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread