Music effects my drawing, i need some peacefull and calm music recomdendations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2007   #31
4ad label....anything especially dead can dance

projekt label also

of course i listen to everything from the new york dolls to st etienne when drawing

Old 01 January 2008   #32
sigur ros, sensual-rock music. it's very soothening and makes you think deep if you think about the lyrics.

Old 01 January 2008   #33
Mogwai has nice songs, maybe i little bit sad, but no lyrics and quite calm. This is a great thread by the way, as i was looking for some new relaxing music too ^^

Old 01 January 2008   #34
More ambient/mellow recommendations:

I have tons of this kind of music, but I'm trying to limit my suggestions to just what stands out to me over the years, the stuff I keep going back to. Though this first suggestion is relatively new:

If you like Cocteau Twins or Robin Guthrie's solo work (which is all pretty great ambient/ethereal works), check out "Before the Day Breaks" and "After the Night Falls", two separate disks that are collaborations between Guthrie and Harold Budd. Very much in the "Moon and the Melodies" style of production, though all instrumental.

Budd's double CD "Transluscence & Drift Music" is awesome, too.

One of the classics I keep going back to is Loop Guru's "The Fountains of Paradise". It has one of the best soft-trance workflows ever, and I can't get enough of the weird muted vocal samples, especially the one that sounds like William Burroughs saying something like "...and leaving your human animals to be eaten alive by the crab people". Good stuff.

Then there's this really odd podcast called "Framework". Each episode is an hour of recorded compositions that aren't quite musical, though they have a haunting, almost rhythmic feel sometimes. They are compositions of field recordings that are arranged into little vignettes. Very interesting if you're into found-sound or field recordings.

Then there's the Conet Project, a modern classic. Look it up - it's one of the most fascinationg recordings ever.

Old 01 January 2008   #35
Lately I've discovered that baroque opera is perfect - especially recommed Phillipe Jaroussky, excellent for concentration!

Old 02 February 2008   #36
freeidm.com

just hit play

Old 02 February 2008   #37
Air
Sigur Ros
Zero 7

Old 02 February 2008   #38
I usually listen to MOGWAI and MONO, Japanese prog rock.Mostly ambient blends with riffs and minimal inconprehensible lyrics if at all.It's powerful. Sigur Ros and Zero7 are cool too.Biosphere get's me really going.Like an ACME factory.Theivery Corporation and anything by Brian Eno.Massive Attack. Jeff Buckley is perfect for painting.Very inspirational. And when modeling, The Mars Volta and Deftones.

Last edited by ha-dou-ken : 02 February 2008 at 06:21 PM.

Old 02 February 2008   #39
Sometimes

I'd say it goes with the task. Just before starting spend some time trying to find some music that conveys your present task. This way you can make music work with you instead of against you.

From time to time it's also really good not to listen any music at all. This way you can try to fill up void with nothing but just your ideas.

Hope it makes sense,

Juan

Old 03 March 2008   #40
Why don't you try some of Enya's music, if you like music that sounds like a fantasy soundtrack, I really recommend it

Old 03 March 2008   #41
I recommend some nice Japanese enka especially ones by Akina Nakamori. Classical music (Tchaikovsky, Bach,etc.) also helps me to get into "drawing mode" too.

Old 03 March 2008   #42
music for my soul

Hello there,

I've just seen your post....I will tell you about my music, so it is up to you ofcourse . I'm using any compilation from BuddhaBar...for me all of them work and it is so variouse (words too:scream. IT'S WORKING PERFECTLY WITH ME! Have fun!

Old 03 March 2008   #43
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread