Looks like that Cintiq tablet Wacom was teasing about is going to be Android.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  08 August 2013
I agree the windows 8 tablet misses the mark, but I'm personally hugely excited for the android version. It's essentially a fully featured wacom cintiq 13 that can be untethered and used as a sketch pad on the go. I can sketch outside or on the couch, and when I need to do some serious work in Photoshop, Mari or Mudbox I can go to my desk, plug it into my 8-core xeon mac pro with quadro 4000 graphics and get some work done.

Honestly, I don't know why everyone is clinging to this hope that someone will put out a tablet computer that will let them do high end work on it. An ultrabook will never be able to compete with a workstation and I for one don't want to spend $2500 on a tablet computer that can barely run maya.

The windows 8 cintiq can't be hooked up to a workstation and used as a regular Cintiq, nor is it powerful enough to paint 4k textures on a 10 million poly model, so for my needs I think it's a bad choice. It will run photoshop, so that's good. But not being able to hook it up to a workstation kills it for me.

The android version is basically the $1k cintiq 13 plus the ability to untether it and use it for sketching and painting on the go. With that kind of use case in mind, I'm completely sold.

My only real complaint is the same complaint I've always had about Wacom (and everyone else on this forum). It's too damned expensive. But as a useful product, I think Wacom nailed the Android version.

share thread