render layers "error parsing arguments"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2012
I guess this is another reason to always point-cache animations, as well... animators almost always work on referenced geometry/rigs (for really good reasons) -- but having all those reference edits in a lighting file would be disastrous in the long term.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by comfortk: I totally agree and it doesn't seem like it'll be a huge leap for the developers. They already have all the edits listed to the reference, they should add a "commit edits to reference" button. Then again, once they implement this, we'll spend another decade trying to deal with the new problems that button will create

this function exists within maya...
http://www.autodesk.com/global/docs...mber=d30e127232

I personally prefer to have my artist open the reference files directly, it is easier to see who is working on what. With using the "save reference edits" it is harder to manage the pipeline stability...

AJ

08 August 2012
I'm going to break some references and use that and see if it'll work, I'll try it tonight and I'll post my experiences

08 August 2012
Hidden function in Maya :
Type this in mel :

fixRenderLayerOutAdjustmentErrors;

10 October 2012
Is there a way to change reference options, after thay has been created?
I need to change "shared reference options"- turn on Display layers, Shading network and render layers, after references was created and animated.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by kiryha: Is there a way to change reference options, after thay has been created?
I need to change "shared reference options"- turn on Display layers, Shading network and render layers, after references was created and animated.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to change the options after the initial reference in maya. I am sure though that its possible if you edit the .ma file as it goes through the whole reference phase when you load the scene up

10 October 2012
Yep, modifying *.ma is an option to try. As usual i wish to have more easy way Thanks!

04 April 2013
Posting to keep the thread alive.

I've had a few ideas about how to assign per-face shading without *actually* assigning per-face shading. Such as, using vertex shading to drive attributes on single shaders. I haven't had any time to work on personal projects (and probably won't until this movie is done) but I'll drop back by here if I have any ideas!

04 April 2013
and the thread remains alive!

I've been using vray as my main renderer for a few years now and what I find incredibly useful is to use a simple black and white image to drive 2 different shaders using the vray blend material. You can keep doing this for as many shaders as you'd like.

I still avoid per-face shading at all costs and I go out of my way to clean it all up before it gums up the pipeline

04 April 2014
Still alive! Hahaha, stumbled upon this thread and figured I'd shock it back to life.

07 July 2014
I've been able to fix error parsing arguments in some of my scenes by removing component level shading using a nice script in the link below:

http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=26

Basically download: hfFixShading.py

Then run Python commands (see: http://www.toadstorm.com/blog/?p=26)

Import script:

import hfFixShading as hfFS

Check Shading:

hfFS.hfCheckShading()

Then either:

Fix Bad Shading

hfFS.hfFixBadShading()

or

Split by compnent shading

hfFS.hfSplitByShader()

There's also this fix:

fixRenderLayerOutAdjustmentErrors;

I'm not 100% sure what it does I found it here: http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya...der-layers.html

07 July 2014
Ya, been using that script for a while now

Actually went to school with that guy

Good guy

07 July 2014
Yeah he seems to know his stuff, lots of really useful information in there. I found it when troubleshooting my render layer woes while attempting to set up a car configurator in Maya.

I have a large amount of tessellated cad data in one file with overrides set on of the visibility of the display layers per render layer to toggle different grades and parts with overrides on Vray object properties to create holdouts and alphas for comp. This seems to work just fine until I try to override the primary visibility for a large amount of objects, Mayas just forgets half of my overrides when I switch layers.

It seems to me that Maya just can't handle overrides when you start to get above 10 layers with more complex geometry.

I had pretty much given up hope of fixing this bug which has led us to reconsider our entire configurator pipleline but since I'm here I may as well throw it out there.

Last edited by leehenshall : 07 July 2014 at 04:08 PM.

07 July 2014
What is wrong with sharing display layers and shading networks while referencing?

I have maya file with materials(shader library) and i reference it to final render scene with geometry and apply shaders there.

Share shading networks option allow to have materials names in scene without namespaces, which make life easier during scripting shader assignment. Whats wrong with such workflow?

I went this way in some projects and didn't has too much problems, but there was NO render layers. Is it actual only for scenes with render layers or i would better stay away sharing shading networks anywhere?

03 March 2015
This thread looked too good to die, sorry. I'm having similar issues in a geo-cached render file. Which, originally had rig and env references including render layers - before I cached the animation and imported the references. I'll step back to my earlier versions now and try some of the golden suggestions explained here. Anyways, this is a real pain that could use another year of discussion...

reply share thread