And They Said It Couldn't Be Done! Large LCD Screen Monitor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
While the no fluff rule we're happy to bend and distort a bit for a bit of fun and when the fluff comes with something interesting, we're very strict about the no politics and no religion rules, and we have good reason to.

I understand it's in your nature and your character to wander, but please do NOT, no matter what, bring politics in here again at any point, no matter the context.

10 October 2013
You as a professional CG artist do not wander? My apology. I had to get that out. I actually had thought the fluff might be able to focus on encapsulating the data of what we would use in a Gb of RAM into a virtual pixel associated with a molecule of our design.

10 October 2013
As I said, some occasional wandering is fine if it comes as a side to topical discussion. From there to "you never wander" the stretch is unreasonably long, and I'd appreciate if you didn't twist your peers' posts out of their meaning so strenuously.
Wandering in the direction of politics isn't allowed, that is the entirety of the message.

You seem to have decided to turn this in some contrived way into some statement about who you are and what seems to be wrong with youth today, regardless of the extent of altering of the context of a discussion. So be it if you feel the need to (bear in mind prolonged OT discussion gets locked though), but leave the economy a teary eyed Obama and the Tea Party out of it. While prolonged OT gets simply locked, repeated political or religious themes after a warning tend to earn a ban, we're simply not the forum for that.

Cheers,
Raff

10 October 2013
So if he mentions politics again, you'll furlough this thread?...

*ducks

10 October 2013
Fellows. I apologize for vocalizing on drawing a breath of relief. I should have known better. It won't happen again.

As for the thread? What started in a gleeful "Hey! Wow! You should check this out!" has become an "Aww... man" moment. I'm tickled pink with this step up in my system. In today's work-out-of-the-home professional community, I'd think it was a good recommendation for those on a budget. It seems frowned upon, so I can understand the anxiety it might cause.

I wouldn't want to generate anxiety, so I'll dispense with the flying circus persona.

Maybe if I started a thread like "Future CG Concepts."

Addendum:
One reason I recommend this is for energy savings. Using the flat screen likely shaves $5 or so off my monthly power bill. It will pay for itself. I use CRT's now for security monitors. Same would apply there.
One thing I hadn't mentioned is I write code. Screen real estate is much more important than perfect image Quality. The resulting software would contain enough drivers through API to adapt to all resolutions. Nonetheless, onward to interfacing VB, Pascal and Py and I won't need my glasses. That could spawn another thread such as "CG Wishlist." I'd like to hear from other CG Artists what they would like to see CG software do.

Last edited by DrCharbonneau : 10 October 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Afterthought.

10 October 2013
Quote: You seem to have decided to turn this in some contrived way into some statement about who you are and what seems to be wrong with youth today,

Actually, wrong again. I merely pointed out that there's a generation gap and that it's inevitable that many out there have age oriented difficulties with not only seeing what's on a monitor, have the need to guard against carpal tunnel syndrome, yet don't have the budget to buy the best. It has nothing to do with whether they are pursuing CG for professional (which I am, albeit as time is available [ATIA]) or as a hobbyist.

Youth or gaffer, professional or hobbyist, users in CG aren't much good if they aren't artists as well. Artists aren't much good if they cannot perceive the emotional value of the art or other artists. Compare it to astronauts in space. One cannot abandon another because he or she has something distressing on their mind. Even the ones who designed and perhaps even built the spacecraft cannot abandon those who pilot them or use them for one discovery or another. Imagine trying to fix the malfunctioning zero-g toilet in the ISS with expendable parts on hand. If it means trashing the high price monitor that is basically glitter to get a part only it has and replacing the wunderbar monitor with a cheaper monitor to get by till the next shuttle arrives with a new one, that perfect, though basically unnecessary monitor will become toast in lieu of the alternative of fecal space debris inside the ISS.

I'm using that frowned upon monitor, thought of as non-professional, to learn FreeCAD for future professional uses. The only loss is eye strain and upper back pain. You dudes have already told me I haven't hit the HDTV's max resolution, so have even better to look forward to.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread