Batch convert tiff16 to openEXR?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Batch convert tiff16 to openEXR?

Hi,
I have thousands of tiff16 files I'd like to painlessly convert to openEXR en masse (windows).
Google is mum on the issue.
I do know that ImageMagick could support openEXR but needs to be compiled that way and no precompiled windows binaries in sight.
Any ideas?

05 May 2013
If you have an image sequence simply read them into nuke and spit out a new exr image sequence.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by BradASchreiber: If you have an image sequence simply read them into nuke and spit out a new exr image sequence.

I don't have Nuke nor do I have experience with it. Seems as a mighty overkill for a simple format conversion.

Seems though I got lucky. Today I managed to compile ImageMagick wiht openExr support on linux in just a few tries
Just need to run a few test and off we go to convert a few TBs.

I'm still interested in a windows solution, as I use windows on my workstation and my whole process is windows based :/

07 July 2013
Are you talking about merging 16-bit brackets to 32-bit EXRs? Or just converting them as is, to 32-bit EXRs? EXR is only an HDR 32-bit format, and converting from 16-bit, you won't be using the full range of information. So unless if you're using multiple brackets, or your images don't have that much contrast, there really is no point in converting them to EXR. If that doesn't matter to you, then you could always use a Photoshop action with the batch processor, to open each file, convert to 32-bit, then save as EXR. If you're converting bracket sets, Photomatix is a good program to merge multiple brackets to HDR.

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Ian31R: Are you talking about merging 16-bit brackets to 32-bit EXRs? Or just converting them as is, to 32-bit EXRs? EXR is only an HDR 32-bit format, and converting from 16-bit, you won't be using the full range of information. So unless if you're using multiple brackets, or your images don't have that much contrast, there really is no point in converting them to EXR. If that doesn't matter to you, then you could always use a Photoshop action with the batch processor, to open each file, convert to 32-bit, then save as EXR. If you're converting bracket sets, Photomatix is a good program to merge multiple brackets to HDR.

Currently I want to convert 16bit TIFFs to EXR. The TIFFs are indeed the product of merging exposure brackets, so it makes sense to convert EXR.

My goal at this point is to conserve space, as I have a few terabytes of TIFFs, so converting to EXR would net me a lot of space

WRT merging with Photomatix, I don't think I'll go that route with my current projects, as I'm using a much better tone-mapper and I'm going straight from JPG to tonemapped TIFF.

The Photoshop route is bloated and involves a lot of manual work, much more sensible to use a CLI tool which can easily be scripted to convert all my projects at once.

I'll get around to compiling Imagemagick on windows at some point

07 July 2013
Well I personally like Photomatix's merging over Photoshop's, but if you're interested, I was working on a batch HDR merger javascript for Photoshop, its still a WIP, I was going to add a couple other things to it, and I was working on the ui, but it is functional. I started on it during CS4, but it should work for CS6.

What tonemapper are you using? And don't you mean you're going straight from EXR to tonemapped TIFF, not JPG? Shouldn't you go from TIFF16 to EXR32 to TIFF8, or JPEG8?

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by Ian31R: Well I personally like Photomatix's merging over Photoshop's, but if you're interested, I was working on a batch HDR merger javascript for Photoshop, its still a WIP, I was going to add a couple other things to it, and I was working on the ui, but it is functional. I started on it during CS4, but it should work for CS6.

Currently I deal with 3-4 exposures which I immediately tonemap, but will get into proper HDRI as soon as I get my gear/workflow together
Photoshop seems a bit of an overkill for that kind of batch processing. Even if you wat to script a lot of edits, seems faster and more sensible to do it with ImageMagick without even taking portability into account.

Quote: What tonemapper are you using? And don't you mean you're going straight from EXR to tonemapped TIFF, not JPG? Shouldn't you go from TIFF16 to EXR32 to TIFF8, or JPEG8?

No, I start with a bracketed series of JPGs from camera, merge and tonemap them, output into TIFF16. TIFF16 is 30-40% larger than EXR, hence my interest for conversion.
For tonemapping i use SNS HDR cli, the only one that produces natural results without any haloing at all.

07 July 2013
Yeah using Photoshop for batch merging might not be the best way, but at the time when I started the script, I thought Photoshop did a great job of merging brackets, until I used other programs like Photomatix, and I put the script aside.

I looked at the OpenEXR and it does look like it supports 16-bit (half precision) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR Although I don't think you can save a 16-bit image as EXR from Photoshop or Photomatix. If ImageMagick can do it, then that's great. You could always try saving other half float formats, to see which has the best compression, like JPEG, if EXR doesn't work out.

I do the typical workflow of capturing 5 to 7 bracket RAWs (thanks to the awesome Magic Lantern firmware) and merge them straight to HDR using Photomatix, and tonemap that, if I need to. I'm still fairly new to tonemapping, since I usually just use the EXR, usually a 360 panorama, so I still have a lot to learn about it.

Last edited by Ian31R : 07 July 2013 at 09:23 PM.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread