Rendering tech with "quality over time"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Rendering tech with "quality over time"

Sorry for my ignorance, but a while ago I remember reading some new rendering approaches that are getting more popularity to non-realtime rendering. The main point of the approach was that you get very fast, immediately if you will, some kind of rendering result for the whole scene, noisy low quality etc, but it just keeps getting better and better the more you let it to render / calculate. Instead of scanline rendering etc where you render each pixel "perfectly" at once.

For some reason I simply can not recall at all what that approach was called.

I was thinking that it was physic based rendering, such as luxrender, but those I found just dont add up to what I remember reading. I'm specifically hunting for info about "quality over time, speed with quick peak of result" type of things but its beyond me to even try find good search words to figure out if I was seeing dreams or am I just now unable to see the obvious!

The thing I would be interested to see is what is the current status of such techniques and how they compare to the "traditional" approach for example in game engines. That is this tech 20 years from now until they get enough computation power for game engines. Maybe I'm just mixing things?

03 March 2013
There is no shortage of real time renderers. Keyshot is one, CPU based and you can see the render progess.

03 March 2013
It is called progressive rendering. Several renderers have it but I think Maxwell is one of the best known doing the thing you described.

03 March 2013
Possibly thinking of progressive (or stochastic) rendering? That matches your description I think. FPrime, Modo, Maxwell, Octane, Keyshot and a bunch of others will do this style by default or as an option for final render or previewing (or real-time if you like).

03 March 2013
I think you're talking about 'unbiased' type renderers, Maxwell, Indigo renderer, Thea render are examples, there are also a few that make use of the GPU such as Octane renderer. Although in truth, I think most of these engines are now making use of a hybrid approach that isn't fully unbiased or biased but are optimised to achieve realism more quickly. As a caveat I should state that I am not an expert on these matters but I have experimented with most of these renderers. The render starts noisy and clears over time.

03 March 2013
Like the poster above, I believe what you're talking about is unbiased rendering.

03 March 2013
Remember that unbiased and progressive rendering can be two distinct concepts. Keyshot is not unbiased but it is progressive, whereas Maxwell is both "unbiased" and progressive.

So yes I believe OP means "progressive" rendering.

03 March 2013
There is also a technique that attempts to clean up progressive stochastically generated renders. So render stochastically, but not wait until the noise level is acceptable. Instead clean up the noisy images as a quick image processing process per frame. In this way you could conceivably make it easier for real-time raytracing performance.

I know research is being done in this area. I think NVidia was looking into this.

Jules

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread