caching out particles

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Hi Boris,

Hmm, I didn't write the PTC reader/writer for partio, that came from the official disney branch, so I'm not sure what would be different in organized/unorganized ? Can you explain what you're looking for a little more? since I don't usually have access to renderman, I'm not sure what that format does to speed things up.

There is a partio "sort" command that puts everything into a kdTree, but i'm not sure that would carry over to file write..

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll see if I can chat up the disney Author, Andrew soon.

-johnc

09 September 2012
well, the more particles you have (>10Mio) the more difference in rendertime you will get. Rendering organized PTCs increases just briefly in rendertime with increasing particle-counts, while unorganized more or less doubles rendertime with double particle-amount.

At MPC we have organized-PTCs. Rendering here at home >1Mio particles I can see already an increase in rendertime.. for my next job (home) I probably will need >20Mio, unfortunately..

If you could have a chat with Andrew, that would be awesome!

10 October 2012
problems loading partio4Maya on one machine

Hey John,

first: thanks for partio4Maya - it's a great plugin! I'm using it heavily on one machine (HP workstation) - all good there.

But on the other workstation (similar specs: HP Z400, Win7, 64bit, just a different/smaller nvidia-graphics card (does that matter??) ) I can't get the plugin to load ("specified module could not be found").

I tried literally every combination of plugin-folder, Maya-env path, modules, with or without zlib.dll, your version from april, the latest version from may .. there's just no way to run the plugin on this machine.

What am I doing wrong ??? Firewall, homegroup-issues? I really need partio4Maya on my second machine for a production.

Do you have an idea what could be the problem there?

Thanks a lot,
Boris

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by praetorian: .. be extended to suit batch processing on farm - I've done that already at work (caching uing deadline)..

@Micheal: how did you submit that to deadline? One script-job that splits the multi-caches in deadline to the render-nodes or basically for every multi-cache you submit it's own deadline-job? (meaning if you want 20 multi-caches you submit through a script 20 script-jobs to deadline?)

If I understand correctly I have to submit x jobs to deadline in order to sim parallel, right?

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by borisb2: @Micheal: how did you submit that to deadline? One script-job that splits the multi-caches in deadline to the render-nodes or basically for every multi-cache you submit it's own deadline-job? (meaning if you want 20 multi-caches you submit through a script 20 script-jobs to deadline?)

If I understand correctly I have to submit x jobs to deadline in order to sim parallel, right?

We have a custom plugin for deadline, which starts maya in batch mode and executes any MEL code. A multi-cache case looked smth. like this:
- for 20 partitions simulation, I submit a 20 "frame" job (frames 1 to 20, in 1frame chunks)
- on renderNodes, maya starts particular frame, reseeds emitters based on that frame number
- cache particles for entire animation range (your actual shot range, not deadline range). The cache name is altered for current frame/partition

So in effect, each deadline's frame-task reseeds particles and bakes them for entire animation, with altered name.

I think this workflow can be replicated with preFrame mel script. The script would just read current frame, reseed pts, rename cache path, and bake. You would submit then as a regular maya render job.

11 November 2012
Hi Boris,

I think you should really give up such a complex task - you already know how it'll end

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by swampjesus: Hi Boris,

I think you should really give up such a complex task - you already know how it'll end

Hey Ville,

first I wanna see your dailies from last week .. then we can think of the next step

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by praetorian: ...I think this workflow can be replicated with preFrame mel script. The script would just read current frame, reseed pts, rename cache path, and bake. You would submit then as a regular maya render job.

so far I tried to get the frame ($number = `currentFrame -q` in the PreRender script but that didn't work (is always 1) .. kind of makes sense .. I guess I HAVE to use preFrame?

03 March 2013
I'd like to ask how you handle over sampling with partio.
I was never happy with the result that the standard maya playback with oversampling gave me.
Always had jumps while Maya was playing the simulation. Because of that I wrote my own script that steps through the simulation.

The only problem with the script is, that the exporter uses a wrong frame number in the resulting file name.

{
 	float $endFrame = 10;
 	float $subSteps = 4;

setAttr "dynGlobals1.overSamples" $subSteps;

float $i = 0.0;
 	while ($i<=$endFrame)
 	{
 		currentTime $i;
 		partioExport  -mnf $i -mxf $i -f prt -atr position -atr id  -atr velocity -atr rgbPP -atr age -atr lifespanPP -atr opacityPP -atr ageNormalized -fp "outname" -p "Z:/outpath" particleShape1;

float $j = $i;
 		while ( $j < $i+1 && $j < $endFrame)
 		{
 			currentTime $j;
 			$j += 1/$subSteps;
 		}

$i++;
 	}
 }

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread