Dalian Library Competition, Shane Dale (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Dalian Library Competition, Shane Dale (3D)

Title: Dalian Library Competition
Name: Shane Dale
Software: 3ds max Photoshop Rhino VRay
Submitted: 21st October 2012

Winning competition entry for the Dalian Public Library in China. I had only 3 short days to produce 4 visuals for this amazing project. Fairly happy with the result given the short time frame.

Would love to revisit one day to make some tweaks to the scene by adding more detail, re-render fresh views and create a short animation..

10 October 2012
Beautiful render, lighting, modeling, etc. Well done. The water in the foreground looks like it might have some artifacts but looks great in the distance. Would love to see a wire frame to differentiate CG and photo plates.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by KMcNamara: Beautiful render, lighting, modeling, etc. Well done. The water in the foreground looks like it might have some artifacts but looks great in the distance. Would love to see a wire frame to differentiate CG and photo plates.

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the compliment. Heres the wire. Full CG scene, no photo-plates or back-plates (Unless you count the vrlight sky tex on the skydome as a backplate).

A fairly messy scene I only had a day to pull together this image. As you can see the model did not translate very well out of Rhino and I ended up having to mesh before export as *.acis was not exporting the primary sweep for some reason. Not much time to sit and ponder so just bit the bullet and exported as medium poly ACAD mesh. Lucky I was not animating this bad boy so I could cut a few corners. As I only had a day for this I literally rendered on the lowest setting at 5k res with the following passes to enhance in post: diffuse, matte shadow, specular, ao, zdepth, wire, rflection, refraction, raw refraction, certain mtl selects, total-lighting, raw total lighting, self illuminated tex and a couple more I cant recall.. The usual lofty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL_002_Wire.jpg (87.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Noahman : 10 October 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Forgot Attachment

10 October 2012
The design looks very much like Zaha Hadid's Maxxi museum. Nice image though.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread