Light effect only certain layers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Light effect only certain layers

I want to import several layers and have lights effect each one differently. When I create a light now and turn on the Render options, the light effects everything in the composite. Is there a way to have a light only effect certain layers as in Max?

Thanks for any input

09 September 2006
go to your layer/surface properties and switch shading, cast shadow, receive shadow on or off to your needs.

09 September 2006
Here's a response I received from another forum, might help people here as well.

Hi,

Yes and no? I say that depending what you are trying to do. In Combustion you can select each layer and on its layer control panel you can activate "invisible to rays" and that layer will not be affected by the light. The problem is it will not be affected by any lights. This will work if that is what you are looking for but in max you select the light and choose what the light will affect. I wish combustion worked like this then you could have multiple lights affecting some layer and not affecting other layers.

09 September 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread