Procedural mesh detail- new bag of tricks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Procedural mesh detail- new bag of tricks

Hi, I have been playing with generating topology procedurally over a mesh, and have worked out a few tools for doing so. You can see some examples below on some early tests.
These tools generate detail procedurally over an entire mesh, or on a selected part of it, and will blend the selected parts with the surrounding mesh. (An exeption to this is a tool for making a brickpattern, wich only generates over a quad surface.)
The tools can be used for a variety of purposes, like making different kinds of brick, walls, mosaic and stone/rock patterns, or scifi surface details or even skinlike details. Different types of patterns can also be blended with each other. What you would usually do is generate some topology and then extrude and bevel different parts to form a structure. A note is that the larger the mesh, the longer time it will take to generate the topology(unless you work on a selection only), and on very large meshes some tools can be very slow, but that's just the price you have to pay I think. In most of the tools the UVW mapping is kept intact, that means you can use the topology as a guide when painting textures too! You could even make a quick copy of a model, make some procedural topology, export the uvwmapping and use that as a guide in photoshop. Then those textures will fit onto the initial model.

In the examples below I used the tools on a simple plane with 32 width and lenght segments.

Some more examples:

and a render of some examples of use:

These tools will probably be included in the PolyBoost toolset wich I'm working on. PolyBoost is a large set of tools for making life in 3ds max a bit easier. Check out the PolyBoost thread here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=181780

Feedback is very welcome and if you have any questions or suggestions/ideas I will be glad to respond to them.

CML

12 December 2004
I just have to say...Wow. Now that is cool. Looks like you passed math class, I wish I attended:S

12 December 2004
Looks fantastic. When are you going to release?

12 December 2004
You could use it for turning normal geo (extracted body mesh for example) into cloth mesh, right?, nice. Your tools are becoming really interesting. Can you make you own patterns?

12 December 2004
PEN- Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. I'm not really a mathwiz but maybe I'm good at thinking "out of the box"

Reality3D- Thanks, it works on editable poly meshes, no modifier thing.

dizzl8r- Thanks

jeb- Yeah me too, hehe. I'm working on making worldtexture normalmaps for a game and I think I will put these tools to good use. That was one of the reasons I started thinking about tools like this.

anoon- Thanks, can't say precisely yet, but I'm hoping to have the release about 1-1.5 months from now.

Roman- Thanks, yes clothes is certainly a possible use for it. You can not define a pattern of your own with the tools, but you can combine different tools, and maybe come up with something like you want.

CML

12 December 2004
I meant that this way you can project a good working cloth topology (for simulation etc) on to "normal" topology. But if you cannot inplement self-made patterns you could take a look at this thread and such (also the pattern used in the clothfx/max 7) http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=cloth and maybe implement some of the patterns.

12 December 2004
Patterns are very cool(good cellulars and voronoi diagram like structures there ). It works like a scripted modifier plugin, or between editable poly?.
Greets!

12 December 2004
Great concept, looks to be a handy little util

12 December 2004
I want that tool like right now!!

Thread Closed share thread