Snap to projected center question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Snap to projected center question

There is a new tool Snap to Projected Center added in the Maya 2014.
Doesn't know how it works.

Can anyone explain me its functioning?

Regards
www.cadcim.com
cinema4dexperts.blogspot.in

Old 04 April 2013   #2
from Docs
Snap to Projected Center

When enabled, snaps an object (joint, locator) to the center of the selected mesh or NURBS surface.

NoteSnap to Projected Center overrides all other snapping modes.

http://download.autodesk.com/global...ber=d 30e70474

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Snap to projected center will center the object within a mesh based on a raycast and was introduced as part of the new joint placement workflows. It lets you activate the mode and then does a raycast on the mesh to find out the projected center and places the object at that location. For bones this lets you quickly click on say the torso region and have your spine bones centered within the mesh rather than having to manually align them yourself or fingers as another example.

-s

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Anyone know how to snap Grease Pencil frames? If I select a bunch of keys (shift drag) and scale to retime them they end up on non integer frames (as with regular keys) but using the Snap command in the time slider seems to have no effect on them.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Anyone know how to snap Grease Pencil frames? If I select a bunch of keys (shift drag) and scale to retime them they end up on non integer frames (as with regular keys) but using the Snap command in the time slider seems to have no effect on them.

Cheers,
Brian

That's unfortunately a limitation currently - the way GP frames are written is they aren't classified as a keyframe so the snap option doesn't interact with them at all. It's something I'd like to fix but it should be documented as a known limitation.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thanks, not too tricky to get around via MEL (I'm sure this could be neater but hey it works) :

global proc bh_snapGPframes(string $gpNode)
 {
 int $frameCount =`getAttr -size ($gpNode+".frame")`;
 for ($i=0; $i<$frameCount; $i++)
 {
    float $unsnappedVal= `getAttr ($gpNode+".frame["+$i+"].frameTime")`;
    int $wholeVal= `getAttr ($gpNode+".frame["+$i+"].frameTime")`;
    float $remain = ($unsnappedVal-$wholeVal);
    if ($remain>.5)
    $wholeVal+=1;

setAttr ($gpNode+".frame["+$i+"].frameTime") $wholeVal;
 	}
 }

// assuming 'greasePencilSequence1' is  the name of the GP node.. 
 bh_snapGPframes("greasePencilSequence1");

;

Interesting that the grease pencil frames are hooked up to file nodes, that opens up the possibility of importing images to GP frames which could be handy in some situations.
What I'm most happy about is that the tool is nice to draw with, it has a nice feel to it, something that a similar feature in another app falls down on.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Yeah you can script most of the stuff fairly easily as most of GP is built around a set of core Maya nodes and nothing too fancy.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Good to know, thanks, I can see myself writing tools for playing with timing of GP frames like in a program like Flipbook where you can quickly put the selected keys on 2s or 3s etc. Great for testing timing quickly.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Grease Pencil frames don't appear in Playblasts unless 'Override Viewport' option in Show menu is disabled? (ie even if 'Grease Pencil' option is toggled on for Playblast filter').
A bug I guess?

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Good to know, thanks, I can see myself writing tools for playing with timing of GP frames like in a program like Flipbook where you can quickly put the selected keys on 2s or 3s etc. Great for testing timing quickly.

Cheers,
Brian

I've been toying with the idea of writing a simple tool to send GP data over to MonkeyJam or some other 2D based timing apps. If there's enough interest I may see it through

Originally Posted by Horganovski: Grease Pencil frames don't appear in Playblasts unless 'Override Viewport' option in Show menu is disabled? (ie even if 'Grease Pencil' option is toggled on for Playblast filter').
A bug I guess?

Cheers,
Brian

Hmmm that doesn't seem right. When you hit Playblast you have the GP frames displayed in the viewport? Just tested 2014 ECS on my new machine at home and a few quick drawings showed up fine in the playblast I fired off.

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread