Dreamworks "The Croods" Official Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #46
Just saw the Croods yesterday in 2D and it is indeed Amazing.

One of the best movies of the year without a doubt.

It definitely falls into the category of "Essay Films". You can tell which lines are Arguments, Counter-Arguments, and Resolutions. "New" vs "Safe"... "Dad" vs "Boyfriend" that kinda argument.

But it uses its playing length to adjust characters so that you don't get that usual problem where characters suddenly do something for the sake of the ongoing essay.

It's clear that the gags came second in the writing this time because they do the whole "Puppet on Sticks" gag too many times. It's almost like a video game mechanic in this movie and basically when they want a "bright idea" to be manifested in the film it almost always involves a "Puppet on Sticks" gag.

Only one ludicrous moment, when the Dad gets his own "bright idea" and it involves pretty far-fetched (even within the film) use of the Piranha-birds. But it's sandwiched by VERY good gags before and after which really get you behind the Dad... so you forgive it that they're bailing him out of certain death.

Art Direction I liked... the character design I'm not really a fan of... But it grew on me and the facial movements had their own charm and the assembly of performances was excellent.

My girlfriend claimed she didn't think of Groog as being Nicolas Cage.
Great job by Dreamworks.

P.S.: Saw a longer "Turbo" trailer before the film and I think it MIGHT just be better than I thought. Basically they took the plot of the series "Turbo Teen" and applied it to a snail. I still have some doubts though.

Old 04 April 2013   #47
I saw it too this week-end (with my family) in 2d as well. And it is enjoyable-if not the greatest.
The art direction is fun if a bit far-fetched ie. this is prehistoric time on an 'earth-like' planet where the random number seed value changed how every creature evolved feature wise-aka who gets feathers - when compared to that of Earth's...however humanoids are pretty much evolving the exact same way. Well maybe they are a bit super-human in ability-but visually about the same.

But still worth seeing.

Old 04 April 2013   #48
I loved this movie. I took my nephew to see it this weekend and the animation, art style and story were great. I did groan a little when the dad had is bright idea at the end as I thought the dad being left behind would have been far more interesting but it was worth it to see the bird-float coming out the ashes. That scene was beautiful as was the scene when the girl and guy are standing in the middle of a swarm of birds. I wasn't expecting much from the movie, especially when hearing Nick Cage as croog, but he definite;y pulled it off and his character is quite empathetic. I think the story works on multiple levels which was a surprise

The Turbo trailer looked pretty good if a little implausible. The Epic trailer this time around made the movie a tiny bit more palatable to me. I wasn't really feeling the movie but the trailer really sold it. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 looked beautiful in the short clips they played. The least impressive of the bunch in terms of looks, and interest for me was Monsters U. This time around I think Pixar is getting outclassed in every way. They need to bring their A game in this environment.

Old 04 April 2013   #49
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: I thought the dad being left behind would have been far more interesting but it was worth it to see the bird-float coming out the ashes.

Well it is an option... but it would have really knocked the ending about... You end up with essentially a "War Movie" like ending where they make it, but you have to spare a though about the Dad who was left to die when the "world ended".

They did build up to that moment... and they used an extremely good gag where the only thing the Dad is good for: his strength... becomes the way they all got saved (but him - for the meantime).

At that point they could have killed him off.... But once you contemplate that it becomes impossible to end the film positively in a Family-Friendly way.

So of course they were going to bail him out. But it was a really ludicrous bail-out.
However, by that point, I personally felt like I liked the Dad enough.. and was willing for almost "any gag" to get him reunited with his family.

You could hear the relief of people watching the film! That they made it matter for the audience is the real triumph here where the Dad is concerned.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 04 April 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #50
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread