Photo realistic carpets?!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
Post Photo realistic carpets?!

Okey, So my job is to make a material for carpets so I can move the material from Maya to AutoCad. I have really good 2d references and my plan was to use displacement and also use photoshop of course.

but my question is if someone has a better/ easier / smarter way to approach this?!

thanks beforehand!

Old 07 July 2012   #2
This tutorial may help. It uses max, but the theory is the same.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...arpet_grass.htm

- Neil

Old 07 July 2012   #3
I think he is more interested in making a bumped model instead of its material. For this the approach is only one I think - a very high poly plane can be modified via modifier such as "displace".

Old 07 July 2012   #4
... okey, just for the record - I'm a girl! haha

But both of you are right. I need a combination of both. So thanks soulburn3d for the tutorial, It was good and I think that it can come in handy.

but Linman3d .. you think that displace is the best way to go?
I have also checked out fur ... but that takes a lot longer to render etc.

Old 07 July 2012   #5
Thanks guys! you both are right, so the tutorial will come in handy.

but now I have another question; I'm working with fur in Maya to create a carpet material, but I realized that that was not a good idea?!

... Can I take the fur material and take it to AutoCad, and if that works - how do I do it?!

Old 07 July 2012   #6
displacement method should be more reliable if you're sending over to other applicaiton. Maya fur is Maya native thing, I doubt you can send it over.

Old 07 July 2012   #7
that's what I thought!

... but can you convert the fur to a displacement map?!

Old 08 August 2012   #8
does anyone know if I can take the fur and convert it to displacement?

Old 08 August 2012   #9
I don't think so. Fur can bend in all directions. Displacement can only stick out in straight line.

Old 08 August 2012   #10
... Now I have tried it know for a fact that it doesn't work .. haha, so thanks!

Old 08 August 2012   #11
Sino8,
I think Displace is the best approach. You make a map and feed the displace modifier with this map. The quality of the model will depend on three things : poly count, map and displace settings. You didn't say what are you going to do with this model. Is it supposed to be used for rendering or game engine. Because if you need it just for rendering you can do all this with materials and a plane (or combined with displace modifier). If you need a model for game engine I don't thing displace will do the job for you since the end model will be high poly model that will hurt the frame rate.

Fur can be a solution too.

Old 08 August 2012   #12
As I said in the first post, it's the Material I'm only gonna use. My job is to take the material that I have created in Maya and take it to AutoCad.

So I have already figured out that I can't use fur because of the obvious reason that it's Maya's own tool. But all of you have recommended displacement and I had already understood that it was a good option so I worked with that at the same time as the fur, but now when my project has proceeded I'm not so sure.

So I have another question: Does AutoCad have a plug-in for displacement or something?
I have tried to search for it, but I can't get any strate information about it. I've realized that AutoCad doesn't have displacement directly in the program so therefore I have to change my approach when I create the material.

So, to clearify: Just the material with texture - that's what I'm doing!

Old 08 August 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread