How To Assign Clones To a Bunch of Splines

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
How To Assign Clones To a Bunch of Splines

Hi all,

I'd like to assign clones to the centre of each of many (5000) circle splines. I took a screenshot of the situation.
The problem seems to be that the Cloner in Object mode can't see each individual spline and it's unable to clone any object onto each one.
Think of the circles as candles and the object I want to clone and attach would be the wick.
Any direction appreciated! Thanks in advance.
M.

3 Weeks Ago
I think the easiest way would be to use the tracer to connect your circles and then you can clone onto the vertex points of the tracer.
hope that helps, and good luck

3 Weeks Ago
Genius! It worked, thank you so much...I think I had tried everything else, lol.

3 Weeks Ago
You could also drop the splines under a Fracture and clone on it using "Axis" distribution mode.
If that gets too slow on playback, you could generate as much clones and use inheritance effector on the Fracture instead.

3 Weeks Ago
since i'm trying to learn a bit python i thought i'd give it a shot. just started learning so bear with me.

i abused the cloner in linear mode, so that it essentially works more or less like a constraint-thingy. by using a python effector.
so... none of the parameters of the original linear cloner have any effect any more, but you can still use other effectors.
you've got to assign your splines-parent to the data-field in the user data (add to the python effector) as well as your cloner object.
then the number of children (splines count) you have under your splines-parent should define the number of clones that are being generated automatically.
here's the file:

http://www.mesutcapkin.com/temp/eff...plines_test.c4d

3 Weeks Ago
Wow.... super cool solutions..!!

3 Weeks Ago
Great solutions all around!

Mesut, for what I need to do in this particular project that script is pure genius, thank you so much!†

What should I change in it to make all clones the same size regardless of the size of the splines?

3 Weeks Ago
Yes, very nice all feedback.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Nanome: Great solutions all around!

Mesut, for what I need to do in this particular project that script is pure genius, thank you so much!†

What should I change in it to make all clones the same size regardless of the size of the splines?
glad, this could be of some help †very motivating to keep on learning, thx.
as for the scale-question. as far as i understand it, it should be sufficient to get the normalised version of the index.
so, that would be adding the letter "n" in code-line 24, where it says "[...] index.GetRelMl()". so between the "l" and the parenthesis, you put the letter "n" and the clones should jump back to normal scale.

2 Weeks Ago
It worked! Thanks again, Mesut!†

reply share thread