Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Is there a way to improvise a photoshop-style smudge tool?

Hello,
I heard of, but never found an explanation about how to improvise a photoshop-style smudge tool using a stamp brush in Mudbox. I don't know if it's possible but does anyone know about anything like this? I would really appreciate any help since it's most intuitive for me when painting to just keep going back and forth between the paint brush and the smudge tool.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

there is no smudge for painting in mud... all you could try is to use the blur brush...

but please vote for the smudge brush here...
http://mudboxfeedback.autodesk.com/...79-smudge-brush

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Aww man, why is it nearly 2013 and we still don't have a smudge tool in Mudbox? I've found requests for a smudge tool dating back six years.

I mean, I have to imagine that programming software like Mudbox is extremely hard work but relatively speaking, if they have a blur tool, then is a smudge tool so much additional work?

(I'm just saying that I hate to involve photoshop if I don't have to because I've tried and the 3d features in that software are BUGGY.)

Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

if to less people asking for one feature it wont get done...
and as i see you havnt voted... so its also not so important for you...

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

I don't have an account to the autodesk forums and I have an 11 hour workday ahead of me. Also Autodesk doesn't seem to care what people think in the case of Mudbox requested features.

Edit: Sorry, I came off as a bit negative, didn't mean to, it's just there doesn't seem to be too much of a concern on Autodesk's part for that feature or the community's opinion of the lack of it.

Last edited by badsearcher : 12-26-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

I'd love a smudge tool too, but the mudbox team is reasonably small and they just can't get every feature in that everyone wants. I've actually found the team to be really responsive with feature requests, and each release usually includes 4-5 thing that I find really useful, which is not a bad average. I'm sure you're busy and don't have a lot of time to participate in the official wishlist, but wait till you have a little downtime and then add your voice and see what happens.

- Neil

Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
badsearcher
Wizard

portfolio
George T
Filmmaker
Los Angeles, USA

Ok, cool! Good to know, I guess in the meantime I'll just be in the habit of importing the 3d model into photoshop cs6 and making stencils for the model once it's there (using my beloved smudge tool) and then importing them into Mudbox.

(Little side note: Photoshop CS6 has a pretty major bug in which it unwelds polys at the uv borders causing it to have trouble painting over seams.)

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
soulburn3d
Artist

portfolio
Neil Blevins
San Francisco, USA

You can also import your textures into photoshop as 2d elements, use the smudge brush, then export back to mudbox. That will only fail if you need to smudge over uv borders. Personally I avoid using any of photoshops 3d features, I've found them to be too buggy.

- Neil

Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
twosheds
occasional frequenter
portfolio
AJ
Polygon Mangler
Florida, USA

Smudge tool would be good.
I'd like to see a full suite of filters too for that matter, like Mari has.

I love Mudbox and I keep upgrading it, but I try to stay detached. Sometimes I really have to wonder how much Autodesk is interested in it because it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of new features, and they don't even seem to be trying to keep up with the sculpting and painting competition.

Last edited by twosheds : 02-01-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread