Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

How to convert a single curve to dynamic hair curve using mel/python and get its name

Hello,

I'm facing a problem converting a set of curves to dynamic curves using mel/python and get the new ones names in return, so I can make further operations on them.

Situation is like that, I have curve "curve1". I want to make it dynamic and assign it to hair system "hairSystem1". As Maya creates a new curve for the task I wish to grab the curve's name in return.

... i'm using createHairCurveNode at the moment, but it is incredibly hard to get to work ... :(

Could anyone help?

Thank you,
M.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

I also used createHairCurveNode, and I agree that it is not elegant, but it worked ok for me.
Using pymel you can streamline it a bit. First you need to create a hairSystem and a you have your startCurve (I'm assuming you looked up the other args that createHairCurveNode() expects...

Code:
import pymel.core as pm arg_list = [hsys, surf, u, v, numCVs, doOut, doStart, doRest, isPassive, startCurve, length, lastIndex, hsysGroup, hsysOutputHairGroup, simulationType] follicle = pm.mel.createHairCurveNode(*arg_list) follicle = pm.PyNode(follicle) hairSystem = follicle.outHair.connections()[0] hairCurve = follicle.outCurve.connections()[0]

David

Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
benio33
portfolio
Maciej Benczarski
Lead FX TD
Platige Image
Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by djx
I also used createHairCurveNode, and I agree that it is not elegant, but it worked ok for me.
Using pymel you can streamline it a bit. First you need to create a hairSystem and a you have your startCurve (I'm assuming you looked up the other args that createHairCurveNode() expects...

Code:
import pymel.core as pm arg_list = [hsys, surf, u, v, numCVs, doOut, doStart, doRest, isPassive, startCurve, length, lastIndex, hsysGroup, hsysOutputHairGroup, simulationType] follicle = pm.mel.createHairCurveNode(*arg_list) follicle = pm.PyNode(follicle) hairSystem = follicle.outHair.connections()[0] hairCurve = follicle.outCurve.connections()[0]

David

Hey David, it works now. I had to make a few connections to nSolver as I'm using nHair, but all's fine now. Thank you.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread