Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
MrCreamyDude
portfolio
Creamy Dude
Boeing
Preston, United Kingdom

Maya 2012 - Geometry gone!

Hi folks, thought it was time I joined a good forum after the all the headaches I've had with Maya and you all sound very knowledgeable! I've been using it for 6 months or so now and trying to get the hang of it, not doing too bad. My main aim it to create assets to use in the UDK game engine and I'm just getting the hang of creating the object, cutting the seams and unfolding it all out to then apply textures in Photoshop, etc.

For the last few days I've been making a fairly simple structure, a flying saucer shaped 'revolving restaurant' type building on a stem thats going to be planted on the landscape.

All was going well until 2 days ago, I had just finished cutting, projecting and unfolding it all ready to do the UV snapshot thing and then strange things started happening! I went to start moving each unfolded bit round on the UV editor grid and as I moved them they vanished! I undid the action and it re-appeared, it did this for each bit. I then saved my work, closed Maya and restarted but when it started up and I opened the scene ... NOTHING! No geometry was shown. The UV editor window opened with nothing on it and no matter what I did I couldn't get the gemoetry to display.

I think its still there somewhere as the attribute editor shows the values for polycylinder etc. but I'm damned if I can get it to display.

I just wondered if anyone had come across this before? I'm running it on a HP elitebook with i5 processor and pretty decent graphics. I've done the same work on an older HP laptop with a Turion (did I spell that right?) processor and had no issues so what is this things problem!! I can do it all again, it wouldn't take long but it is annoying and I would rather try and find out what the problem is. Many thanks for everones time reading this.

UPDATE: I copied the Maya file from this PC to the other and it opened no problems, everything there so its obviously something to do with the graphics. I've finished texturing it so I'll copy it back and see if it opens OK this time.

Last edited by MrCreamyDude : 01-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread