Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #46
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

Or Vray for that matter. . . (sidenote: Furryball is GPU based. So curious how OSes affect it)

But 40 minutes seems a bit extreme compared to the commercial work I currently do. Average time for frames as 1080HD for a layer asset is about 10-20 minutes with motion blur.

Complex frames at 1080HD are typically sub-3 hours.

http://www.themill.com/work/norfolk...sibilities.aspx

Frames were brute force Unified mental ray on CentOS, typically less than an hour a frame. The longest frames were less than 3 hours a frame with longer motion blur, where the train whizzes by the robot for example near the end.

I want to say our render times marginally improved on CentOS compared to Fedora.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #47
Bitter
Also Highly Corrosive

David Fer Real
Fixer of things
USA

Given how linux drivers are for GPUs. . .that might be a fun test. . .of sanity.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #48
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

the Linux Quadro drivers are fine.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #49
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I did a new linux vs windows 7 mental ray test rendering a 4k image on a modern 4.7ghz 6-core 3930k i7:

Cent OS linux:
57:53 = 3473 seconds

Windows 7
1:03:35 = 3815 seconds

so with this same high poly scene from my previous test, win7 appears to be 9.847% slower than linux

Compared to my previous linux vs XP64 4-core Phenom II machine tests that showed at 12% difference, I'm not sure if it's mainly win7 performing drastically different than XP64 or if the it has to do with how the OS's handl 4 vs 6 cores, or if it's an AMD vs Intel issue.

Last edited by sentry66 : 12-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #50
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

it's the compiler. Realflow, Maxwell and other Maya plugins like Fracture FX, Houdini sims, etc are faster on OS X than on Windows because of the compiler. V-Ray is the only one that is slightly faster in Windows than in Linux/OS X because they are using the more expensive Intel C++ compiler on Windows and the usual GCC compiler on OS X/Linux. When they used MS' compiler, it was slightly slower in Windows as well:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...post/3353016788

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #51
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

so if everyone used the expensive intel compiler, would windows theoretically be the faster OS?

I just don't see if all compilers were equal, how a lightweight stripped down OS like linux could be slower than bogged down OS like windows.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #52
graphicos

portfolio
Cosmin Horatiu Halmagean
graphician
proamen
Arad, Romania

Geforce GTX670 or Quadro 2000 ?

I want to build a new workstation( windows 7 -64 bit ) ,will be use for maya animation ,rendering ,effects.
I will starting with video card choose . My options are Geforce GTX670 or Quadro 2000 !
Can you tell me wich of this are better for my purpose and why ?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #53
lostparanoia
Care bear
Mikael
VFX artist - 3D
Malmö, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicos
I want to build a new workstation( windows 7 -64 bit ) ,will be use for maya animation ,rendering ,effects.
I will starting with video card choose . My options are Geforce GTX670 or Quadro 2000 !
Can you tell me wich of this are better for my purpose and why ?

I would choose the Geforce. The quadros we're using (that are recommended by autodesk no less) has maaad lag in the hypershade. The ones using geforce are much snappier.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #54
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
so if everyone used the expensive intel compiler, would windows theoretically be the faster OS?

I just don't see if all compilers were equal, how a lightweight stripped down OS like linux could be slower than bogged down OS like windows.

well, I don't know enough about compilers to say but the Intel compiler is available for all platforms so who knows what they all look like when on equal footing there.

I'd be more interested to see how OS X performs with the clang llvm compiler that is actually recommended for use with Xcode/Cocoa. GCC is deprecated in OS X and no energy is being spent improving it for OS X. It's been like that for a few years now.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #55
DutchDimension
Think different

portfolio
Dutch Dimension
DMP/Environment Artist
MPC
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostparanoia
I would choose the Geforce. The quadros we're using (that are recommended by autodesk no less) has maaad lag in the hypershade. The ones using geforce are much snappier.

Which Quadros are you using lostparanoia? And are they exhibiting the same performance issues in the new 'Node Editor'?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #56
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread