Material won't apply to one side of object

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Question Material won't apply to one side of object

I did some searching and couldn't find anything close to my problem. I've been following along on a DT tutorial and noticed that when I rendered my object out, it showed that the material was applied all over it except on one side completely.

In the Material Slate Editor, if I remove the Tiles map from the Diffuse section, my entire object will show in whatever color I have it as. When I reconnect the Tiles map to the Diffuse and render, it goes back to that problem. I've included a screenshot and I need to take a screenshot of my Material Slate Editor window with the Tile map laid out, I will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shell material.jpg (86.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by IvansNotHome : 03 March 2013 at 05:43 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Make sure no polys are selected, apply a material modifier, set id to 1.

Does this help?

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Oddly enough, those polygons did have an ID of 3 while the rest of the body had 1. I did change them to where all of it was Material ID 1, however when I went back to render it out, I still get the same results.

UPDATE: Okay, I have found that if I detach the Tiles map from the Diffuse section, the front of my object gets the material applied. The minute I attach it back, it goes back to the problem I'm currently having.

Last edited by IvansNotHome : 03 March 2013 at 11:54 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
It feels like UV problems. The end of you cylinder is probably mapped to a white section of you diffuse map.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I do not have a white element applied to the Diffuse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg material editor.jpg (78.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by IvansNotHome : 03 March 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Try having a very small offset for V in you Tile settings. I think the "grout" is lining perfectly with the border of the object.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Sonofabitch, that's what it was. I set it to .9 instead of 1.0 and sure enough the entire ends of the shell became covered. Thanks!

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Alright! Glad I helped.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread