Which artists have you copied the work of?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #31
Carrivaggio

I love the works by the boroque master Carravagio. He was working with the use of dramatic lighting of scenes way before there where test renders and quick fixes.

Old 05 May 2005   #32
Charles R. Knight. I stand in awe of the man's accomplishments.

Old 05 May 2005   #33
<--- straight up inspired by www.boring3d.com and receiveda "thumbs up" from him too.

*edit* that's supposed to be pointing at my avatar

Old 05 May 2005   #34
I have a set folder for a group of artist whose pictures I go through before I do any piece. It's not until recently, that I was able to break away from it. May be I'm finally growing into my own person?

But it's a sure-fire way to learn things though. Especially, when one's just starting on the illustration path.

IMO, the best thing you can copy, and no one would noticed is the color set.
But that may be me, and my belief that a nice color palette can be the holy grail to any color work. ^_^"

Old 05 May 2005   #35
the only artist i ever tried to copy was Michelangelo Merisi (Caravaggio) to whom, i believed many years, i was involved to in a special way

anyway. i never did a colour copy of anyone's artwork, i was only doing pencil sketches of artworks i liked. i definitely spent a lot of time drawing Merisi's paintings, but i also sketched durer, michelaneglo and such.. now i'm gonna learn on XIXth century art, it's my favourite at the moment..

i never sent any of these sketches as my own art, though. i only send them to my pencils section on my site, always saying that "this is a drawing of.." i think there's a big difference between learning on somebody's work and copying on purpose to make it your own - "a bit inspired" art..

Last edited by vinegaria : 05 May 2005 at 12:10 AM. Reason: damn typos

Old 05 May 2005   #36
I learnt a lot from copying the works of William Turner (1775-1851). He's one of my favorite artists and painted mostly seascapes

Old 05 May 2005   #37
Well I have done some copying but most of what I do is my own I find that copying a work gives you great insight into the creation of the original work. I have used Albrecht Durer, Roger Dean and Tony DiTerlizzi. I used to buy books wth Tony Diterlizzis work just for the pictures and would not bother with the written content.

Old 05 May 2005   #38
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread