Technical Study (Injured Fish), Raphael Tobar (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Technical Study (Injured Fish), Raphael Tobar (3D)

Title: Technical Study (Injured Fish)
Name: Raphael Tobar
Software: Illustrator, Maya, mental ray, Photoshop, ZBrush

This is a piece that's meant to hone my workflow between Zbrush + Maya + Photoshop + Xara/Illustrator (for vectors). Also meant to be the accumulation of my main stylistic features in my previous work into one.

My original intention was to show an exploding fish, showing the insides, but then later I thought that it would be way too much and would decrease my chances towards appreciation.

I started off box-modeling in Maya using a generic fish profile as reference, imported to Zbrush for refining/detailing/texturing with spotlight. I then imported it back to Maya for posing using a simple wire tool. Once I was happy with the camera angle and light setup, I rendered with MentalRay and transferred it to Photoshop. For some of the more aggressive brushstrokes I did them by hand using children's paint and hard bristle brush. Scanned the strokes and vectorized them. Also with vectors, implemented typography to the figure, as seen in my older work. Did the rest of it with Photoshop digital painting techniques.

Some secondary techniques included the use of MASH 2.0 procedural animation for Maya for the debris on the side. I would clone a shape and distribute the positions using fall-offs, randomizing rotations, adding echoes, and offsets. I rendered these separately to have more control for working in PS. There were other variant procedures in doing this like cloning the objects to the positions of the fish's faces to have a more accurate breakage, but it proved to be cpu-intensive on my machine.

Thank you!

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread