At Ease, Colette Cassidy (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
At Ease, Colette Cassidy (3D)

Title: At Ease
Name: Colette Cassidy
Software:

Daz|Studio and Adobe PhotoshopElements 2 to put together different lighting renders.
There are 21 Dystopian Drone Troopers in the scene though they can't all be seen + other store products.
Not actually sure if these guys are actually allowed to take it easy for a few minutes, but hey the humans are a bit slow in giving out the orders, heh. :)
click for larger.
Thanks for looking. :)

11 November 2007
Well, Colette, I have to give you that you are brave considering the responses other Poser-scenes has gotten in the past..

Do you have access to other 3D-applications?
If so, considering the simplicity of the bots, it would not be too difficult for you
to actually model them yourself. Take away rigging and other things that take a bit
more time to learn, you could actually make this scene your own.
I'm even sure you could make them look better than now.

Some other crits,

The eyes look painted onto the head. There's no feeling of hich tech lenses or whatever.
Given that they look quite worn, I would expect more damage to the metal, not only the paint. Use a bump or even better a displacementmap to solve this.

11 November 2007
But but but I only posted it especially for you Mr Monkey

Well I wouldnít call those guys simple, those models were built by probably the best modellers out there. The eye colours I changed myself and they didnít turn as well.

Yeah yeah, I have Zbrush (havenít learned it yet), Hexagon, Carrara. Too many other things like 10-12 hour work days that get in the way, putting something together in D|S is easier for the moment. Iím hoping to try and finish off something I started a while ago over the Christmas holidays and I should have the time next year to do more. Watch this space.

Thanks.

11 November 2007
In reference to the other poser type threads, this isn't the same as having a big boobed woman in a completely un-natural pose with poor lighting, composition, etc..

My suggestion for this without going into the whole poser vs self made models, would be to do some hard surface texturing on the robots to make it your own.
Try taking the models and subdividing parts of them to get a higher resolution mesh where higher detail is needed, then change the geometry a bit, and apply a hard surface texture that you painted yourself.
If you did that, nobody would pay any mind to the fact that they're poser/daz studio models.
What is Daz Studio anyway? A free version of poser? I've seen it referenced many times around here.

I have to disagree about the models being done by the best modelers out there though.
That's a matter of opinion though, and there's no need to get into that discussion.

There's a good tutorial on hard surface texturing with Photoshop done by Stefan Morel.
It's written in a very user friendly way and very easy to understand.
He's also a very good artist and this tutorial is very in-depth and gives excellent results.

Here it is:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=46&t=373024

One thing troubles me collette, YOU HAVE ZBRUSH!!!
I'd eat hissing cockroaches for a copy of Zbrush3!
As it is I can't afford it at the moment, but there's also no Mac version yet.

Try bringing those robots into Zbrush.
Pixologic has alot of educational resources available.
There's no need to get into all that though, I'm sure you'll come around.

11 November 2007
Well I didnít want to name drop but that is Stefan Morrellís model (and Moebius).

Obviously I havenít done it justice, gruff.

I hadnít intended getting Zbrush for ages and i couldn't afford the full price but I couldnít resist the offer of a half price sale at daz3d.com .

Daz|Studio is a free program and better than poser (haha), check out daz3d.com.

cheers.

11 November 2007
Haaa, what a coincidence.

As far as you not doing his model justice, don't think that way.
Look at it as part of an ongoing effort to become "modeling independent".
He's been doing this for some time now.

Does this imply that one can create detailed models for Daz Studio and get paid for it? Or did he donate the model?
You're not saying that Stefan uses Daz models himself are you?
I don't know how I'd react if that were the case.

But anyway, you have an opportunity here to use Stefans hard surface texturing tutorial on his own model.
Do those models come with UV's already in place?
Does Daz allow you to bake textures?
If so, that tutorial would work well for you.

I still think you'd be better off converting the robot model to sub-d's and putting your own detail work in it, then texture it according to that tutorial.

It's really not all that difficult to do. It's not as time consuming as you think either.

If you did this, you'd be so proud of yourself and you'd never want to stop doing it.
Push the feeling on!

11 November 2007
Originally Posted by Dtox: Does this imply that one can create detailed models for Daz Studio and get paid for it? Or did he donate the model?
You're not saying that Stefan uses Daz models himself are you?
I don't know how I'd react if that were the case.

Yes you can get paid for making models and selling at daz3d and other places.
Stefan Morrell aka Stonemason is a published artist at daz3d which means he makes models and sells them through daz3d.
The models he uses himself are all his own work.

I remember doing that tutorial when it came out first, somewhat limited with the programs I have but there are ways around it I'm sure.

I'd rather not mess with someone elses model but I do get what you are saying. I'll get there someday soon.

12 December 2007
There is also another CGS front page modelor who does well
converting his models to poser rigs and selling them for use in DAz studio and poser
Michael Rak aka :"Sanctumart"

Those who Can/Will Not model & texture tend to $$Buy $$
From those who do
Everything in this Cinema4D render is from poser
the figure,buildings and crates
just lit and rendered in Cinema4D

Micheal and Stephan are proof that there is money to be made
in the "poser market" WITHOUT Nekkid BOOBY chicks.

12 December 2007
Every single thing in this C4D Toon render is a poser model by Sanctumart
this is a panel from a comic im working on.
there are many illustration uses of poser figures that do NOT involve huge breasts

12 December 2007
The whole 'large breast' phenomenon tends to be perpetrated by sexually frustrated individuals.

One could argue that such a person doesn't have the right temperament for CG work, since the frustration manifests itself in their work.

As to not wanting to mess with someone elses model, that's what they provide them for.
If the models weren't meant to be altered, that would be clearly stated in the terms of service agreement.

If Stefan were asked if it was alright, I'm sure he would say that he would prefer people to modify them since that's what CG artists do.
And a model used as is, is not really a reflection of the artist who commissioned it, but the one who created it (not you).

But yeah, I'm confident you'll get to that point eventually.
You might one day even sell your own models on Daz3d.

Just keep going.

12 December 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread