Jim Lee's Superman 3d W.I.P.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2007
Jim Lee's Superman 3d W.I.P.

Hi

Posted this topic last night but for some reason its not on the boards so hopefully im not double posting (searched high and low for the previous ones to no avail)

Anyways heres my first post on the boards and hope not to be sent out on a slab as to my probably ameturish modelling compared to other people here.

Its Jim Lee's rendition of Superman in the comic books he's inked just translated into 3d.

Las two pics are my latest renderings. hope you enjoy..

03 March 2007
what refs are you using to model from?

03 March 2007
Im using an action figure and comic book images to model from. such as the images below.

Its going to look different as Im looking to make it look as 3d as possible and not really a cell shaded version like the comics. I still have odds and ends to add anyways so dont rip me apart too much LOL

http://www.joeacevedo.com/images/fi...man_set_lee.jpg

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/mul...ermanStatue.jpg

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~supe...superman211.jpg

http://abcovers.free.fr/components/...6_569367920.jpg

Last edited by jimmy1701 : 03 March 2007 at 11:53 AM.

03 March 2007
Good start, but there are some things that don't mesh with Jim Lee's version. Things are too angular, and well defined, except for the eyebrows. Kind of like Bruce Timm's version. (Which is good too. ) Especially your model's face, and abs. Although the the Jim Lee-style eyebrows are more angular, but the rest of the features aren't.

04 April 2007
Right after ages of remodelling heres an update on what ive produced sofar in abit of a rebuild. Its abit more cleaner and well human looking both structure and muscle wise.

04 April 2007
Hi,

nice idea and good start, but you still have a lot of space for improvement on the model.

First the shoulders and the arms: From the Superman statue you can see the buliness of the torso and his arms, yours are just to skinny. And than check on google some arms concept. You'll see that te biceps of your mesh is to skinny (not the whole arm, just the biceps.)

than there is the torso (ribcage) region. Also to small. If you look at the floating statue (first picture of Lee's statue) you cant clearly see under his arms, but I can guarantee you that the torso (ribkage) is a bit moor rounded at the sides than you did it.

and finally here is the waist. also to narrow for the width of your legs. You , probably, concenrated on the statue concept, and did big legs, but if you see at other Lee's pictures you can see the waist more conpact and clearly wider to accomodate the big and muscular legs.

Just a couple of anatomy pointers, I just hope I made myself clear if not just say and I'll try harder .

jinraichi

04 April 2007
Some more updates.

Been fooling with the lighting and all that today just to get off the modelling for abit and Ive tweaked the levels on the textures and all that.

Still have to add his curl in the hair and redo an area or two but its closing in on getting done preety soon I hope.

04 April 2007
Learn your anatomy and then more anatomy, then after that anatomy. :-)

Seriously though, learning anatomy is going to be your bestfriend.

05 May 2007
Well heres the latest results of my toiling around in mud box, Its a damn excellent programme EXTREMELY flexable and very user friendly. you can basically let ure mind run wild with designs.

Im nearly finished with the body after that im doing touchups on the face,legs and feet plus the hands I have started in 3dmax.

05 May 2007
This superman looks more realistic than the one in the movie..

05 May 2007
hehehe I wish. lol Thanks for the comment man really appreciated. which film though superman returns or the reeve ones? lol

Heres another update on the head it was annoying me big time cuse it was so square and a little plain looking. got to say mud box is a really usefull tool, alot of fun to use aswell.
whoever came up with it has saved alot of peoples time.... and sanity lol

Last edited by jimmy1701 : 05 May 2007 at 11:09 PM.

05 May 2007
it's a decent enough start of a model, but it's not superman. sorry, but the facial feature's really don't match and the body, well, SeanJM said it pretty well. anatomy.
anyway, maybe this will help you to start with

Current WIP thread

05 May 2007
thats looking prity gd jimmy, I loved the last 3 renders they look whicked, well done m8.

05 May 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread