CGTalk > Software > Blender
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
tron_thomas
Frequenter

Blender won't play back imported video properly

I have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo system running Mac OS X 10.7.5

I used QuickTime to do a screen recording. The video ended up with a frame rate 14.67 and a run time of 37 seconds.

When I go to import this video into Blender 2.68, even though I use the custom frame rate settings to apply the exact the frame rate. Blender imports the audio at 545 frames and the video at 2228 frames. This means the audio and video are totally off, and the video playback is incredibly slow, taking over 3 times as long as it should.

What can I do that will get the video to play back properly in Blender?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Use a sequence of images instead of a video.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
tron_thomas
Frequenter

I don't think I will be able to use a series of images.

The movie was made by recording the output of program as it was running on the computer. That program will only plays back in real time. There is no way to make it play one frame at a time so screen shots can be taken.

The movie plays just fine in QuickTime. I don't understand is why Blender cannot handle the movie, especially when I give it the proper parameters like the frame rate.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
I don't think I will be able to use a series of images.
Why not?

Quote:
The movie plays just fine in QuickTime. I don't understand is why Blender cannot handle the movie, especially when I give it the proper parameters like the frame rate.

Because it's an H264(hence intraframe) encoded screen recording with an very unorthodox framerate of 14.67 frames per scond which Blender *might* not be able to handle whether you like it or not(or understand it or not).

Quote:
The movie was made by recording the output of program as it was running on the computer. That program will only plays back in real time. There is no way to make it play one frame at a time so screen shots can be taken.
There's tons of way to create an image sequence and actually you can step frame by frame in quicktime but since you decided to not try it out and just assume how things won't work whatever way I won't waste any of my time.

Good luck with whatever.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
tomjelfs
Blend That Film

portfolio
Tom Jelfs
Worcestershire, United Kingdom

Are you saying that you can't import it into the Video Sequence Editor? If it will import into the VSE then you can produce an image sequence easily.

I've imported H264 format files etc with very little trouble.

Blend That Film

Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
tron_thomas
Frequenter

I realized after posting my last reply that I could probably use QuickTime itself to create the still images. This could be a slow and tedious process. I would like to think there was a better way of doing things. Kinds of seems to defeat the whole purpose of Blender being able to import movie clips in the first place.

I am able to bring the movie into the Video Sequence Editor, and the video will play back there. It just doesn't work properly. Even if I set the frame rate to a maximum of 120 before I import the movie plays back too slowly, and of course the audio is always off.

That this import doesn't work is surprising to me because in the past, I was to bring another movie with an odd frame rate, and although things were initially off with that as well, I was able to determine the correct parameters that eventually made everything work successfully. So it has been puzzling to me to know why this recent import has been so problematic.

How can someone create the images after importing into Blender? I'm wondering since it plays back so slowly whether the process of creating the images will produce too may images that will need to be discarded for proper playback.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
tomjelfs
Blend That Film

portfolio
Tom Jelfs
Worcestershire, United Kingdom

What frame rate is your screen capture video?

Let's assume it was 30 fps, what you need to do is to:

Open a new Blender file
Before you do anything else set your frame rate to 30 fps.
THEN import your footage.

If you import your footage first and then change the frame rate it won't adjust your audio. The reason this happens is that the frame rate of Blender is for render output only, if you change your frame rate after importing footage you need to delete the footage and re import it. The frame rate has to match the imported footage to ensure synced sound.

Blend That Film

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
tron_thomas
Frequenter

I recorded the video with QuickTime and it ended up with an odd frame rate of 14.67.

For importing, in the Dimensions section of the Properties view of Blender, I set the "Frame Rate" to Custom. I set the FPS value to 14 and then I set the "Frame Rate Base" (/:) to 0.95432856169052 which is approximately equal to 14/14.67. This set the Custom frame rate value to 14.6.

However when I went to add the video into the sequence editor, it came in incorrectly the video had way too many frames in it, and it played back much too slowly.

As I mention before I tried this same technique with another video I had recorded with QuickTime, and that one imported into Blender correctly. I don't know why this video did not work as well.

Last edited by tron_thomas : 09-13-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread