Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
But not all freelancing is remote. In fact, it's quite normal to freelance in this field, and it's often in-house.

Aha, then I stand corrected. Indeed, in my country it's mostly remote via the Internet and in-house I guess is named outsourcing (when a larger company gives a smaller part to a side company). If freelancing in your country is totally legal and is equal to working experience, then of course it can be considered as being employed, and more readily can be considered in application process for working permit I think.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
eek
Fixer

portfolio
Charles Looker
Snr Technical Artist
Electronic Arts
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
I was 25 when I first moved abroad, which..

Same here but the other way around, I left the UK when i was 25 to go to Canada. I'd had worked in 2 places by then, and fortunately knew someone at a company in Canada looking for people.

I'd say a degree is a big help for visa requirements and having lots of experience 'globally'. I'd worked on mini-series at Framestore and ad's for Canadian cinema by then.

The 30 year old issue sounds odd, Its more a case of skill set both academically and from experience that would be an issue. You need a company to sponsor you basically and crucially make a case that you and only you can fill the role, and that no one from their country can fill it.

Last edited by eek : 10-22-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
narenn
PRO
portfolio
Naren Naidoo
Pixel Pusher
ILM
USA

If you can do the work, and do it well, that's all that matters in the end.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
I don't want to sound overly abrasive but this thread and the other one you posted on the weekend kinda look like you're making excuses for yourself. Stop making excuses about your lack of money and age (you're not even old, FFS), and get to work on developing your skills.

I think this is the only appropriate response to threads like this really. If you can't self-motivate you might as well give up now, it's not anyone else's job to talk you into it.

I get the feeling this is from the same poster.. another 'poor me' topic.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 10-22-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
mr Bob
CG Sup
Mars
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
Do you have any links for that or is it anecdotal? I heard immigration is getting harder in Canada but I will be really shocked if they take age as a criteria when deciding on a applicant.

Age can be an issue with some types of visa. Australia and Canada both have a 2 yr work / holiday visa with age limits.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #21
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Age should have nothing to do with getting a Visa... Otherwise the governments implementing the policy would quickly be accused of "Age Discrimination", and possibly taken to court by civil rights associations.

Quite the opposite, actually. Age, directly or indirectly, does factor in in your score or your personal evaluation in most systems. Older people tend to have different expectations and a different load on the social infrastructure than younger people.
Many countries also have "free visa" types of deals for under 30, such as working holiday (a one year free visa if you're under 30) here in Australia.

A government can't be accused of age discrimination, and can't be taken to court over civil rights (which for the record are a purely internal affairs thing, you're thinking of HUMAN rights), not over matters of how they decide to regulate their immigration.

International associations can peep up on HOW you deal with the unwanted, because in the past unwanted and illegal immigrants were subject to borderline concentration camps treatments, or had their boats sunk and were let drown, but they won't tell ANY first world country how their immigration/visa system should work, they can't. Not NATO, not ONU, not even the EUEC outside of the agglomerates can interfere with how you decide immigration outside of mutual treaties should be regulated.

Quote:
A degree on the other hand is quite helpful.

Of course, as is experience, which offsets age.
This is how most systems work, if you're old enough, you are supposed to have the experience to offset it, if not you're up a creek and there will be no paddles in sight.

It's not a violation of any right, there is no such thing as "the right to immigrate" in any human rights statute or constitutional document (and a constitution regulated the country, not others or international relationships anyway), it's a statistically biased and weighted system, and the average 35yo without a degree and with no experience to make up for it, statistically speaking, would usually be a bad immigrant, as chances are it will be someone who was not very decisive or successful before, and unlikely to have the savings, means and experience to support himself in a foreign country without impacting the system.

Of course it doesn't hold true for everyone, but statistical significance has led to some rules, and they apply to everybody unexceptionally, with few exceptions being made for particular categories (such as special talent visas), but those require exceptional to be proven to some extent to be granted.

Quote:
As long as an employer really wants you to work for them, getting a Visa shouldn't be a big problem.

Not true. A company in the States might really, really want you, but if you're 40 with little experience, no big titles/credits/recognitions, no related degree, and no capital warranties, you will not get one no matter how hard they want you and how much cash they are willing to frontload into sponsoring you.

Human rights ONLY come into play with the right of emigration, because everybody should be allowed to LEAVE a country in the eyes of the first world, if so they choose. Whether another country will let you in or not, it's at their discretion, or they come into play for political prisoners, the right of asylum for people from particular countries in some particular cases where two countries interacted and so on (IE: Cuba to Florida immigration being a set of tomes larger than most of the rest).
VFX work seldom qualifies for a violation of human rights granting you political prisoner status, even if you come from one of the really tough productions that DID feel like a concentration camp

Free Maya Nodes

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 10-22-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizhy
Well, i have read on internet these days that, getting work permit, from one of those countries UK, Canada or US, is really hard if you are above 30 years.

Really hard is subjective.
Canada and the UK, even after the UK tightened things a fair bit, not hard at all.
High school, couple years of experience, a company sponsoring you, no criminal record, and you have a 70% or better chance of a visa.

US, different story, a fair bit harder and visas are in limited supply, qued, and don't get stretched.
But if you'll have a crapton of credits to your name, significant achievements, even in your 30s you will stand a chance.

There is no hard limit saying "before 30 it's easy after it's hard" except for visas such as working holiday, young visitor, student exchange and so on, but there is a weight to your age, because a 50 years old is a lot more likely to impact the health system and the bureaucracy of a country than a 24 is, which means you do lose points for that, and have to make up for it somehow.

Quote:
I am not sure how much i need to get good in animation, so i can get some Jr. Work. at the moment i am 24. i am learning from everything i can found on internet because for i am broke, and getting a cash for do i online course for animation will take me some years, maybe never.

So is the best way to do?

Work on your own to get as many iterations of a solid reel as you can, and shoot it out to companies that might be interested in that level of work every time you achieve a milestone, and build up your CV that way.
Get work experience, no matter from where, early on.

Quote:
I also heard that, no matter if you reel is awesome, outstanding etc, without degree is impossible to get visa too, plus if u are over 30.

Rubbish.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #23
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

concerning the EU, there is only one reason why foreign people can be granted to come here and do work (with permit):
because our own population can't sustain it.
this is the official position, it has nothing to do with fairness, or whatever.
it's all about benefit for the own system. so of course age and qualification are important factors.
just a reality check.
personally, i think it's hard here for immigrants and it looks like the EU is not going to make it easer, quite the opposite.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Since we don't allow people to have multiple logins (honestly, one of these days that's going to become a bannable offence), I've merged Zizhy into his previous login name BojanStankovski.

I'm also closing this thread as this user has a history of starting threads like this, and while I realise this is harsh, replying to them is a waste of time.

Thread Closed share thread