Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #391
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKaplan
Since I was the one who mentioned him, I'll say that I've heard he's trying to make some PSA and contacted the IATSE for a conversation. He was given my contact info, but hasn't reached out to me as of yet. I can't say I'd be too eager to speak with him if he does.

I can totally respect your concern about the man, he's gone very conservative and now works for Briebart and lives in Texas. However, your belief of his involvement shouldn't be a concern. My mentioning of him was only as a matter of history.

Actually, you've misunderstood the concern entirely.
The concern over Lee has little to nothing to do with his political leanings and more to do with his past behavior and character.

I'd only ad that you and your cause would be better served by not assuming that your target audience is of one monolithic political leaning.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #392
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama
I'd only ad that you and your cause would be better served by not assuming that your target audience is of one monolithic political leaning.

In this particular case, I think the word "collective" is more appropriate than "monolithic".
But your point remains.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #393
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers
In this particular case, I think the word "collective" is more appropriate than "monolithic".
But your point remains.

Sure, that could be said as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #394
SteveKaplan
PRO

portfolio
Steven Kaplan
International Representative
IATSE
Toluca Lake, USA

Quote:
I imagine that a clever employer could find other legit reasons to terminate an employee they perceive to be a liability.

That was the point I made as well. Unionization is a federal right. Firing someone for their union support is possible, but its more likely that an employee who announced their support for unionization will be less likely to be terminated without due cause because of the ULP regulations.

Sari Gennis, who was most outspoken about her employment at Stereo-D in Los Angeles to the LA Times, is still working there.

Quote:
Perhaps Dreamworks is the exception that doesn't necessarily work as template for other shops?

Or, perhaps the work will go where its needed. That's been proven to happen many times, regardless of cost.

Quote:
I never said that. However, "some" work is going to Asia.and many would like to hear about what impact forming a Union could have if any at all.

If the answer is that there is little that can be done, then at least we have an answer.

The answer is that the lack of a union for visual effects artists isn't having an effect on it, and the introduction of one won't either. Increase the costs 100-fold and eliminate subsidies and work will still be in non-[cheap labor land] areas.
vfxunion.org

Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #395
SteveKaplan
PRO

portfolio
Steven Kaplan
IATSE
Toluca Lake, USA

Quote:
Yes I've read the article and I've never "met" the individual either but I do know more about him than just what reading the article would provide about him.

Yea, agreed with you here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...8&postcount=386

Quote:
Here is a link to Lee's blog page with the letter

http://leestranahan.com/open-letter...ffects-artists/

I find many of the subsequent reader comments quite an interesting read.
Maybe this comment by Dave Rand on Lee's article reveals a bit more than he intended?

"It's a gimic, and a truly creative one."

His letter was a way to draw attention to the matter. As was the protest on the day of the Oscars. Are you saying they both were ineffective?
vfxunion.org

Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #396
Tama
Expert
Tony Brighton
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
As closed or open as the facilities on our Studio List depending on your definition of the term. Anyone who takes a job at the studio, will be a member. There are no stipulations in our contracts that force union members to be hired before non-union members.

The link doesn't appear to work. (attempted with 3 different browsers)

Quote:
Your question about strikes show a lack of understanding about how our contracts work.
snip

Yes, the reason I ask questions is to get answers. Even though I am not a fan of Unions
here is an opportunity for you to educate/make your case if you can.

Might help if you would take the time to put some flesh on the skeleton rather than expecting those who might be mildly interested or even disinterested to go through your pdf links to boiler plate docs that are guaranteed to put you to sleep faster than a viewing of Cloud Atlas.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #397
Darrolm
Frequenter
portfolio
Darrol Moore
Character TD | Generalist
Pasadena, USA

Quote:
The link doesn't appear to work. (attempted with 3 different browsers)
Here is a working one. It was just missing a / at the end.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #398
SteveKaplan
PRO

portfolio
Steven Kaplan
IATSE
Toluca Lake, USA

Quote:
Might help if you would take the time to put some flesh on the skeleton rather than expecting those who might be mildly interested or even disinterested to go through your pdf links to boiler plate docs that are guaranteed to put you to sleep faster than a viewing of Cloud Atlas.

You may want to take a look at how much posting I've done on the matter here and elsewhere. I'm more than happy to explain union policies, practices and procedures. I explained how strikes work right after my statement, so I'm failing to see where your missing "flesh" is.

When you ask a question and I provide specific documentation that provides your answer, reading the "boiler plate" docs may help provide you further insight to my answers. Where you see Cloud Atlas, I see an opportunity for you to expand your horizons.

The pdf I linked to is our contract. Its what we fight to maintain and support. Its the crux of our strength and leverage. If its boring for you, maybe its best you ignore it and remain mildly on the fence with blissful ignorance.
vfxunion.org

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #399
SteveKaplan
PRO

portfolio
Steven Kaplan
IATSE
Toluca Lake, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrolm
Here is a working one. It was just missing a / at the end.

Apologies for the syntax error and thank you Darrolm for the correction.
vfxunion.org

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #400
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread