Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Eric Browning has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final!!

DONE! Not that I couldn't noodle on it for three more months. I incorporated just about every comment I got except for the overall saturation change to warm it up, I wanted the girl to be the warmest spot and everything else to be cooler.

Can't..believe..it's done.

10 October 2004
Welcome to the challenge!

Ohh and good luck to ya!
Passing good, or eles black lead."

10 October 2004
Thanks, Jarhead!

11 November 2004
Very nice sketches. gives me a good idea what to expect. I like the contrast between the large ominous machinary to the frail little boy/girl. One thing to consider; we shoudl get right away what the boy is doing through expression so that the viewers dont get thrown off.The angle of his of the boy/girl to the camera migh obscure his/her expression. maybe if he was 3quarters facing us. Looking good.

Good Luck. I'll be watching this one.

11 November 2004
Thanks, Rares-
It's going to be a little girl, and I think you're right, it needs to be clear what she's doing. She's drawing with chalk, and I'll need to work the angle a bit to get that across. For the final I'll get really solid photo reference because I think the picture will mostly succeed or fail based on that character.

11 November 2004
Thumbs up

Great idea. Very original. Cant wait to see it fleshed out. Good luck.

11 November 2004
These sketches are looking good, I like the idea of the kid.

11 November 2004
wow this is a great idea, i have a feeling not many people thought to include kids! you've managed to make the figure very evocative, emotionally. your recent composition is strong, and i can't wait to see how this will look with color! are you planning to color it? and if so, have any ides about the possible scheme yet? good luck!

11 November 2004
Hillartsympho-
Yep, it'll be in color. I'm trying to limit how many elements I'm working on at once. Once I get to the drawing, I'll be free to try out a few different treatments. I do have an idea of where I want to take it, we'll see if it works.

andreasrocha-
I will DEFINITELY think about widening it- especially if I lower the spaceship (so as to keep the mass of it there). One concern I've been having is that while I really like this oddball ratio, it forces me to zoom out just to see it. That means it won't be read as quickly by people simply because it won't fit on screen. So I'm thinkin' about it. Thanks!

ecura-
I think you're onto something- I'm going to have to do a lot of juggling to get all of this information to settle into a cohesive image. I believe I can do it but we'll see. One more thing I'm going to do is break up the horizontal line of the city, so that there isn't quite such a sharp division between fore/middle/back.

I'll put up another version (hopefully the last for the concept) soon.

11 November 2004
The characters in the forground look like those forgotten by a civilization which looms so large above them. Great use of scale and point of view (camera angle?). Good work!

Gord MacDonald

11 November 2004
Wow! I can already tell that this we will be great! The composition is really powerfull. This is going to be emotive piece.

11 November 2004
Emotional and real good stuff.Maybe not finished,but still real good,I like the idea alot.

11 November 2004
Once again, I love the design and composition. But what I noticed with the new ones is that they no longer have a light to dark progress from the top to the bottom of the composition. I really like this effect in the previous concepts, but the new revision works well with me. Amazing work, congrates!

01 January 2005
Absolutely stunning I love it. I hope you don't mind if I save a copy on my computer for inspiration.

01 January 2005
This picture is wonderful

Congratulations on a very good job

Thread Closed share thread