How to use PTex in Maya 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Thumbs up How to use PTex in Maya 2013

Hi Guys,

Since AD hasn't integrated this process, I thought I would give you all a heads up on how to use PTex textures in Maya 2013:

Set PTex registry value for mental ray for Maya:

Create/edit file maya.rayrc in the user Maya directory 2013/prefs/ (or 2013-x64/prefs/ or /Maya2013/mentalray/) and add the new registry setting below.

Example (Maya2013 64bit on Windows Vista/7):
Edit the file:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013-x64\prefs\maya.rayrc

add the following line:
registry "{_MI_REG_CCMESH_PTEX}" value "on" end registry

Using PTex textures in Maya:

1. Create a regular polygon mesh
  2. Assign a mental ray subdivision approximation
  3. Assign any material shader
  4. Create and assign a new node to a texturable color slot using mib_ptex_lookup
  5. Write the full file path to the .ptx file (relative paths won't work)
  6. Render
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunny.jpg (44.7 KB, 409 views)

Last edited by mercuito : 04 April 2012 at 09:49 PM.

04 April 2012
Thanks Corey, been poking a stick at this today without success, so very much appreciated.

btw when do you think there will be an update for mental core around this, (no pressure ha ha )

04 April 2012
No worries - working on that now, can't give you a date, but aiming to release 2013 support as a update with a bunch of new features too.

04 April 2012
.....sweet.

04 April 2012

Good work Corey (as usual!).

04 April 2012
Maya 2012 Ptex

What do you think guys, for those who need to stick to Maya 2012 do you think its possible to extract the ptex capabilities of maya 2013 and somehow make it work for 2012??

04 April 2012
thanks for this very helpful guide:)

Last edited by ronviers : 04 April 2012 at 11:42 PM.

04 April 2012
Thanks to Coreys excellent instructions rendered out a scene from mudbox with ptex textures with MR in Maya 2013. I can see why it was mentioned the implementation in maya was a bit clunky. The mudbox implementation is super smooth and effortless, while in maya I spent a lot of time hooking up ptex lookup files (non reference path names) just with the small number of objects ~25 I had in the scene, plus add gamma correction nodes. Also as noted above the swatches are black and I couldnt get any viewport textures showing after hooking up the mib ptex lookup. But still... goodbye UVs for a lot of stuff except where a map is useful. Hope they make a way to browse to files sometime. Or some one writes a useful script

04 April 2012
adding ptex to bump

How can I use ptex as a bump channel? Maya wants to convert the file to an alpha and the bump channel only has a single input. Should I run it through a rgb -> Luminescence node first?

04 April 2012
Originally Posted by cmptrArtist: How can I use ptex as a bump channel? Maya wants to convert the file to an alpha and the bump channel only has a single input. Should I run it through a rgb -> Luminescence node first?

mental images goes into detail about how this is done here: http://forum.mentalimages.com/showt...up-in-maya-2013

hth,
ron

Last edited by ronviers : 05 May 2012 at 10:44 PM.

05 May 2012
still can't get ptex to work

I can get color, but vdm crashes, and I can't get the bump channels to connect at all.

05 May 2013
Total noob question ...

I have no idea how to install Ptex so I'm feeling rather dumb. Would someone mind telling me what to do once the file has been extracted? I was expecting some kind of exe file, but just have a folder and no idea what to do next.
Thanks much,
~CG

05 May 2013
Have you seen this?

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...x-in-maya-2013/

10 October 2013
I don't have middle mouse button to connect the Ptex_Lookup to my material, and I was told to Connection Editor, but Im not sure what to connect, I already tried "NodeState" > "RGB", and nope, my render is a black material with some shine of the specular.

What should I connect?
Picture:
http://gyazo.com/91a9256e83b637794db4754e9388d951

Thread Closed share thread