Helping fellow CG artists in the Great Recession: Post your ideas.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
How do other freelancers plan professional finances in regards to future investments in personal capabilities?

I am taking time to really hone and refine my skills at a school, after talking with the animation department heads they highly encouraged me to seek projects and professional work while attending. My issue is at home I am running off a laptop that can only skim the surface on projects I work on. Rendering and more complicated assets bring the system to it's knees. So, should I shell out a good 3k on a decent workstation for home even though I will be a little low on funds afterwards or paying some of it off on credit for a couple months?

Also thanks for re-igniting this thread, somehow it swept by my radar originally and right now it has made a great read.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: Use your powers! Let your powers combine! Create your own power!

I remember back in the 90s when comics were the hot thing. I remember a group of talented artists decided not to work for the man but to be the man and they ventured off on their own to create their own comics. They became the 3rd largest comic book company in history. They became IMAGE comics. A strong independent comic book company.

Recently a great artist named Ryan Woodward decided to work on his own little venture. Ryan has been around for some time storyboarding some of the coolest movies we know, like Spiderman and Avengers. He created the worlds first "Animated comic" This ain't your lame motion graphic comic but a fully animated, interactive, thing a ma jig beautiful little app. I love this book. It is how I dreamed comics should be. He has garnered some recognition. I don't know how many he has sold but I'm sure it was a nice little sell. He has been traveling around going to festivals and speaking at locations and won the App of the year Award.

Then there is Mark Stansberry who was hustling in the streets and sold his own animated cartoon. 40,000 units sold.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-co...bway-35584.html

Then there are the guys featured in that documentary called "indie game" Loved that documentary by the way. Through all the blood and tears these guys finally released their games. Sold a ton of units and one dude was even able to buy his parents a house.

Then you have folks like Renegade Animations (1992) Asylum (1997) and a few others who make crippity crappity movies. Kiara the Brave ring a bell. Yet they make money and a living doing this stuff. Video Brinquedo has been tossing out stuff since 1994. Still in business.

It may help to start doing what you do best but do it for you. Maybe time to wipe the dust off that dream project. Time to produce and create.

Be creative in your endeavor. I remember Thurist was pushing out 3 minutes a month of quality animation for Planktoon Invasion. Now it is a tv series.

Artists behind R'ha and Rosa...possible movies in the works.
"make it and they will come" Advice I got from Doug Tenapel. (Earthworm Jim, Monster Zoo, etc)

Can you do the same given your talent?

Mr. Sava is able to put out 4 or 5 comics a week on his website and generate income. Can you ? Everytime he does a kickstarter he meets his goal. I envy that man. In a good way.

Do you know how to PAINT? Find an audience and create something for them.
Nerds have lots of money do crazy nerd stuff for them with your talent like Robert Burdens

There are so many possibilities and things you can do. These are just random ideas of people producing things good and bad. Alone and on teams. Making a living doing it. Just an idea for you all.

I envy some of ya'lls talent. I wish I could produce beautiful pictures. If I could I would but I can't. But you can. Why not try it? Create!

Very nice post
Thanks for Sharing..

02 February 2013
Folks,

If you are in London and want to meet up at a really good venue that has access to a 2.5m screen to show your work, and 160+ seats and so on. I have access to one and have already organised two CGI events there so far:

One was a presentation given by Will Rockall (founder of Jellyfish) and John Sellings. The second presentation by Andrew Whitehurst, VFX supervisor for Skyfall. More about the events here .

As I run both FILM MEANS BUSINESS and Non-Multiplex Cinema I have a very large database of film companies and filmmakers built up over years.

Maybe an event where CG talent could meet film & TV studios? Could collate a link of your CVs/showreels and send them out to thousands of film companies in the UK, and then say come down and meet them all at the event? Almost like a recruitment fare.

It's just an idea that could work, being fully aware that it can be very hard to meet with people face to face nowadays. I am also quite sure a lot of independent film & TV companies think that CG is only for the big studios, so an opportunity for them to meet you.

Maybe some of you who are looking for work, could meet up at the event and band up and form a team to represent yourselves able to provide a service, rather than individual jobs for hire.

Anyway, reply if you think this is a good idea.

Jules

P.S. This would be a free event.

Last edited by Jules123 : 02 February 2013 at 12:38 AM.

02 February 2013
Aangtheavator hit the nail on the head create your own stuff.

08 August 2013
Hey guys, Sorry for necro posting this thread. but I am in need of ideas.
I will be organizing a local Washington DC group meeting to discuss ideas and solutions of what we can do to help each other out. at a local level, in these trying times.

So I would appreciate any ideas (and I any ANY( that we can bring to this round table discussion.
I will make sure you ideas get discussed in the meeting.
Thanks.,

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 08 August 2013 at 05:02 AM.

08 August 2013
Elance.com (4,500+ jobs in the 'Design & Multimedia' category

Odesk.com (8,000+ jobs in the 'Design & Multimedia' category

99designs.com (1,300+ jobs

Deviant Art forum job offers section

jobs.computerarts.co.uk (mostly long term positions)

08 August 2013
I know the industry is in a dreary state and that a thread like this is really needed, but what I find amazing at such a time is how few people are actually willing to put in on the line, pool their resources and coop with others to start something new. Just imagine what amazing things could be created if just a few of the extremely talented people in this industry actually joined forces!!!

I totally agree with AangtheAvatar and can only quote dpendleton's:

"AangtheAvatar hit the nail on the head create your own stuff"

and add:

"Create your own stuff or coop with others to get a joint venture out."

"Image Comics" is a great example for people taking such a chance and there are many more of those. On the animation side, the cake is huge and these days more or less monopolized by just a few big studios on the feature film side. But TV stations are always desperate to fill their 24 hour broadcast schedules with programs, so I'm surprised there haven't been some notable endeavors on that end. And then there's the net to kickstart your whole project into full production once you've got some stuff to show. If only people were willing to pool what little resources they have, but no, everybody wants the next guy to take the risk. Same old story!

Cheers!

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 08 August 2013 at 09:51 AM.

08 August 2013
One of the things I am going to try is to go to local events for tech developers.
From people looking into getting into 3D printing for skateboard art, mobile game development groups and offer my list of local 3D talent. I know I sound naive, and I could care less, but something has to be done.

While talking to people who are not into our industry I find this amazing disconnect, between what we do, and the availability of local talent.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

08 August 2013
Roberto that sounds really cool.

I think one thing creative people who can build need to do is get creative with how to make a living.

I'll tell you my story.

As a child I loved creating illustrated stories. My first 2 books were "Adventures of Pizzaman and Chovi" It was about a superhero who was created by an Evil Dr as a joke. He had a rival scientist creating supervillians that were scary and awesome looking. He wanted to show his rival up in a condescending way and he built a goofy super hero Pizzaman as a joke but also very powerful and sent him to fight the Supervillians.

The 2nd book was called "A boy and his pencil" about a boy who falls into a story and whatever he draws comes to life. He had to fight a bunch of monsters with stuff he drew.

Those were my 2 first stories. The teacher thought they were so well written that she used them for story time for the other kids. With that little bit of promotion I started telling students I would write and draw them a story for 50cents. In 80s money that wasn't half bad. I sold about 20 of them from just my class alone. My parents subsidized my construction paper, staples and glue. Out of the 10 bucks I paid a cousin 5 bucks to help me staple them all together and cut out the pages. I kept the other 5 bucks and bought a toy. I went to the store and bought my toy!

I was 5 years old.

I didn't know anything about business or making money and yet I did make money. I didn't think anything about it can't be done and I had the skill of a 5 year to draw and still made money with my imagination. I thought with the imaginative part of my brain and the business aspect worked itself in.

We have years of history showing imaginative things make money. Movies, games, toys, cartoons etc.

We also live in a time where you can publish, distribute and sell things yourself without having to have a distributor, publisher or outlet store selling it for you.

In other words we now have the power. There are tons of musicians today who have made tons of money and are not even attached to a label. Lindsey Stirling is one example. She popped up a funny Legend of Zelda song done on violin and she works with friends to make cool videos and now she is touring all over the world. All from youtube videos and selling on iTunes. But notice she did have help from friends who made the videos look extra cool. It is not everyone for themselves.

I think that is a problem with the CG industry, lack of working together and a cynical attitude. They point to all the failures. See "so and so" tried it and he failed. "It is too hard"

My 5 year old self would tell me "What is so hard, you just draw some pictures people like and they buy it. You make money and have fun doing it, math is hard"

Also the lack of working together for something big. I can only imagine if Robert Kirkman was told by Tony Moore..."I'm to busy to help you out and I need 3000 to draw Battle Pope"
Then there would not have been an Invincible. Then there may not have been The Walking Dead which by the way is the number 1 show on TV. It all started with a writer and an artist working together. Digital artists show your writing artists some love.

So Roberto I hope in your meetup you talk about combining forces and be a producer of products. That might help get some in that direction where they can not have to rely solely on finding the next gig.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by banman7: We also live in a time where you can publish, distribute and sell things yourself without having to have a distributor, publisher or outlet store selling it for you.

That's the stuff right there!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Hey guys, Sorry for necro posting this thread. but I am in need of ideas.
I will be organizing a local Washington DC group meeting to discuss ideas and solutions of what we can do to help each other out. at a local level, in these trying times.

So I would appreciate any ideas (and I any ANY( that we can bring to this round table discussion.
I will make sure you ideas get discussed in the meeting.
Thanks.,

-R

I live in D.C. let me know when you are going to do this. Thanks.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread