ptex workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Nah I don't blame them for promoting it. Mari has it too now, and if I'm not mistaken Mudbox had it first.
But yeah, a feature is a feature, and you might as well use everything you've got when promoting your product. That's one of the edges Mud has over ZBrush.
(and while I'm thinking about it I did paint a creature entirely with ptex in Mudbox a while back. Looking forward to the day I can render it. )

No, I'm just saying it seems odd that by now they haven't gotten ptex working right and natively in mental ray in at least Maya.

Right now though it's really just a novelty from my perspective. I have to use 3d models with UV and texture maps in my game projects and I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before that changes.
Nevertheless, I have had some really complex meshes for my other projects that have taken days to UV map, and being able to use ptex would have been a huge time saver.

I was in the Vray for Softimage beta program a couple years ago. I'm sure it's improved quite a bit since then, but I really didn't have the time to learn another render engine properly. I already know mental ray pretty well and it's plenty good enough for my purposes, so I can't really justify the expense of Vray just to use ptex in Softimage.

06 June 2013
Yeah I hear you. I am not sure what the hold up is with getting this feature in Softimage. Mental Ray has it and it can be accessed in Maya. Would be interesting to hear why that is.

07 July 2013
i assume disney forced the integration in maya and mudbox... 100% ptex support you will only get with renderman... and stdios using renderman wont need mentalray... ptex is targeting for large feature film pipelines... and its not whidly used at all... in a lot of cases uv are much easier to handle...

07 July 2013
Originally Posted by oglu: i assume disney forced the integration in maya and mudbox... 100% ptex support you will only get with renderman... and stdios using renderman wont need mentalray... ptex is targeting for large feature film pipelines... and its not whidly used at all... in a lot of cases uv are much easier to handle...

That was the first thought I ever had when I first heard Mud was gonna have ptex. At the time I think Renderman was the only render engine that could do ptex. I remember reading about ptex the first time and I can't recall any other renderers mentioned.

So I suppose you're right, although I assumed they were all using ZBrush. Maybe adding ptex to Mud was AD's way of trying to overtake ZB in the major studios.
I don't know - the closest I'm ever gonna get to a major studio is if I take a tour one day.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread