Blend material increases render time

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Blend material increases render time

Howdy,
I've been using a blend material for fading particles out by their age, this increases my render time drastically to the point of being unusable. Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm using mental ray.

01 January 2013
Blend materials should be slower, since you're evaluating two illumination loops instead of 1, but they shouldn't be tremendously slower. Maybe it's because you're blending to a transparent material? Maybe test to see if the transparent material alone causes the same rendertime issue.

- Neil

01 January 2013
yeah, I'm blending to a standard mat with 0 opacity. This mat by itself doesn't render slow at all.

01 January 2013
May be worth posting a simplified file for people to test.

- Neil

01 January 2013
Why not do it at the map level of a non-Blended material?

-Eric

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Why not do it at the map level of a non-Blended material?

-Eric

Hey sorry guys, I've been busy lately. I already have something plugged into my opacity slot so I couldn't use a particle age with it. The shot had most of the particles going off screen, so I managed to get by with no opacity per age and just did some general opacity control in comp.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Why not do it at the map level of a non-Blended material?

-Eric

What do you mean by this?

02 February 2013
You could use mix map (per needed map input) to do the same thing in a single material. The mix map has the same controls as a standard Blend Material. For more complex setup you could use Composite map. So instead of building multiple materials with multiple maps, you use one material with the mix maps to blend the maps.

-Eric

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread